Making A Football Field Cake....i Have Some Questions

Decorating By n_edge Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 10:15pm by tigerhawk83

n_edge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n_edge Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 4

I have only ever worked with mmf (Marshmallow Fondant) I really dont know what fondant is exactly like. What are some key notes that will tell me that is how the fondant should feel. My batches always come out different. Anyone who has had experience with both, which recipe worked better for you. Also any idea's you may have for this cake are welcome. Im open for many idea's. My customers only request is that it is a football field and that it is oregon duck themed.

Thank you all!
Jena thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 4

I use Michelle's Fondant recipe (here on CC). You're right it turns out different each time I make it, but I'm finding that I like to mix in mixer with dough hook until it's well mixed and thick. I knead short time on cabinet with a little Powdered sugar. It shouldn't be sticky or stringy when pulled. Able to roll in ball without sticking to everything. Works best if I let it sit in plastic bag overnight. As far as football field, I've got a couple on my website: nextlevelcakery.webs.com

hotlips7133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotlips7133 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:23am
post #3 of 4

Hi Jena! I don't know about the whole fondant thing, however one idea for the football field is use a rectangle shaped pan, mark the white lines across a green top, add numbers (maybe reference an airborne photo of any field, particularly the Oregon one if you can find one that is decent) and place a Duck emblem in the center of the field. From glancing at a photo just now, they have "OREGON" in both endzones and a large "O" in the middle of the field, but I bet if you could turn out a Duck I bet they'd really like it. As for the sides of the cake, I'd just do them white and draw footballs and helmets, maybe some green and gold pompoms made with the grass tip. Lots of luck to you!

-Brandy

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 4

I haven't done a football field but I've done a basketball court and a tennis court. Did a half sheet cake covered in buttercream, and airbrushed the floor/court using a stencil that I made. I don't have those posted but do have my first try at a tennis court posted
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1664480

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%