post #1 of 34

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

33 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:33am
post #2 of 34

Finishing up 8 centerpiece cakes and the four tier is pretty much done other than some fondant swags which I'll do in the morning.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 34

I'm up and should be baking but it has been a hellish week of school activities so nothing gets done until I get out to shop in the AM.

Thankfully I only have desserts to make for the friends/family coming over for Halloween. Of course, I am still undecided about what to do with the cake for Sunday. I've seen too many cute ideas here on CC. I picked up the Martha Stewart Halloween stencils. aaaahhhh.....too many options!

Kristy

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:42am
post #4 of 34

No cakes for me tonight. I made apples dipped in caramel and chocolate. When I ran out of caramel, I dipped some in marshmallow fluff, melted peanut butter, and dark chocolate. Sounded good at the time, we'll see how the family likes them tomorrow night!

KJ62798 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer1970

No cakes for me tonight. I made apples dipped in caramel and chocolate. When I ran out of caramel, I dipped some in marshmallow fluff, melted peanut butter, and dark chocolate. Sounded good at the time, we'll see how the family likes them tomorrow night!

mmmmmmmmmm........marshmallow......peanut butter......chocolate [Homer Simpson voice]

If your family doesn't love them, you can send them to me. icon_wink.gif

Kristy

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:47am
post #6 of 34

12-8 for a bridal shower tomorrow. I ran out of fondant and made more MMF. Does it really have to "rest?"

leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #7 of 34

apples . . .yum.

I've only made MMF once. I hate the stuff. Someone else needs to answer!!

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 34

just got home from an airbrushing class. i was a bit disappointed in the content....or lack of it. only 1 cake and some cuppies tonite. need to look up how to attach stencils to a cake for airbrushing.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:54am
post #9 of 34

Been working on all the "stuff" for an under-the-sea/jungle cake - baking tomorrow - delivery on Sunday. Also made some mini tiaras for princess cupcakes due Monday. 5/12 broke (not unexpected) so I'll have to redo tomorrow. Pooped for tonight, so up early tomorrow to get back at it!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:58am
post #10 of 34

It depends on the MMF recipe. Which recipe are you using? In general, if it says it needs to rest, then it needs to rest.

Just finished a pumpkin cake with a bobcat popping out of the top. I'll be working on tailgate food in a bit. Any ideas for a Halloweenish side dish that goes with swamp monster mac-n-cheese and mummy hot dogs?

kger Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:04am
post #11 of 34

I'm not sure which recipe. Just marshmallows, ps, and glycerin. I so need to cover the 12" inch tonight and there is no way I can wait until 1am or whatever. I may have to get up early and cover it, but I'll also have to decorate.

I also have to attach a fabric (not satin) ribbon to this cake. Should I attach it to the top tier tomorrow when I assemble it onsite? Or is this something I should do tonight. I also have no royal icing , double stick tape, or corsage pins. I was planning to adhere with some BC. Is that ok? I also have some red candy melts that would match the ribbon.

They also want some fresh roses. Is that something I add at the last minute onsite?

KJ62798 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:09am
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

It depends on the MMF recipe. Which recipe are you using? In general, if it says it needs to rest, then it needs to rest.

Just finished a pumpkin cake with a bobcat popping out of the top. I'll be working on tailgate food in a bit. Any ideas for a Halloweenish side dish that goes with swamp monster mac-n-cheese and mummy hot dogs?

Taste of Home magazine always has fun Halloween recipes:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Top-10-Recipes/Top-10-Halloween-Recipes

The Cheesenstein looks fun.

I also saw something online about making your own chicken tender/fingers w/sliced olives as nails--Witches' Fingers

Kristy

cheatize Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:10am
post #13 of 34

Fresh flowers are added at the last minute to keep them fresh.

Buttercream should work.

I've made MMF with water, marshmallows, and confectioner's sugar as soon as I've made it. Roll it out and see if you think it will work.

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #14 of 34

I would attach the ribbon tomorrow when you assemble, you can precut it so it's all ready to go. Do you have any normal metal tipped dress pins / use these instead to secure and just advise the caterer so they know to pull them out before cutting up. I worry that your BC might stain the ribbon if it has a high butter content.

Fresh flowers would need to go on at the last minute. Make sure they aren't damp or they will spoil your fondant or leave drip marks. They need to be sitting in a dish or something as they really shouldn't be directly on the cake.

Finished 3 x 8/10" for a 80th birthday and a guitar for a rock n roll party.

leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:16am
post #15 of 34

If the fresh roses are a topper, the florist should assemble it for you. If they get stuck into the sides of the cake, the florist should at least wrap the stem for you. Ideally, the florist will wire and wrap the flowers.

Starting kitchen clean-up!

cheatize Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #16 of 34

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Taste of Home magazine always has fun Halloween recipes:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Top-10-Recipes/Top-10-Halloween-Recipes

The Cheesenstein looks fun.

I also saw something online about making your own chicken tender/fingers w/sliced olives as nails--Witches' Fingers

Kristy

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:25am
post #17 of 34

Just cup cakes today, trick or treat night at work... Nothing else but real work for the weekend icon_sad.gif

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:29am
post #18 of 34

Toothache, well my dentist took it out yesterday..... Wisdom tooth...ouch!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

mickey35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey35 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:31am
post #19 of 34

Hi everyone. Home baker here, I'm working on the usual. A shoe box with high heel shoes.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #20 of 34

Just finished 11 boxes of cupcakes (6 or 9 per box) for a local free, 2 hour, Halloween carnival on Sunday. Put deco-pac skull, grave stone, and spider rings on top of the cuppies. Dragged a friend into helping me (she made 5 boxes in addition to the ones at my home) since I'm getting over bronchitis and run out of breath.

My community has a lot of families of single parents with kids living at the poverty level, and the community center offers a safe, no charge place for all the kids to go on Halloween--it's a marvelous program. Last year we had 700 people! Two local supermarkets will also be donating expired baked goods (told 'em anything with sugar on it! doesn't have to be cake) that I'll pick up Sunday morning.

I'm pooped! (but happy).

Apti Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:41am
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenell

Toothache, well my dentist took it out yesterday..... Wisdom tooth...ouch!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

"Pobrecita". Hope you recover soon--that is NO fun...

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:50am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenell

"Pobrecita". Hope you recover soon--that is NO fun...

Thank you so much. Do you speak Spanish? lol !

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:53am
post #23 of 34

Did 6 dozen cupcakes for a party tomorrow night. Nothing fancy, just wanted to help with the kid's sugar load!

leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:54am
post #24 of 34

Aww, Apti, that sounds like a great celebration.

kger Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:56am
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

I'm not sure which recipe. Just marshmallows, ps, and glycerin. I so need to cover the 12" inch tonight and there is no way I can wait until 1am or whatever. I may have to get up early and cover it, but I'll also have to decorate.

I also have to attach a fabric (not satin) ribbon to this cake. Should I attach it to the top tier tomorrow when I assemble it onsite? Or is this something I should do tonight. I also have no royal icing , double stick tape, or corsage pins. I was planning to adhere with some BC. Is that ok? I also have some red candy melts that would match the ribbon.

They also want some fresh roses. Is that something I add at the last minute onsite?

Ok, I went ahead and used the fondant. It was absolutely fine. A little pock-marked from me not sifting the ps, but that's what I get for rushing.

No caterer or florist or anything like that. It's for a friend who is throwing a couples wedding shower tomorrow. I will bring it over to her house around noon for a 2pm party. It's my first "wedding style" cake, though, so it's pretty exciting. 2 tiers, white fondant, red ribbon, fresh red roses. I have blank 8" top, so I'm going to need to figure out something artful to do on the top. I'm prepared with coffee stirrers and drinking straws for the stems. Should I get floral tape instead?

So if you experts are saying I can't do a thing with the ribbon and flowers tonight, then I'm heading to bed!

FYI- I've read something about putting glad press & seal on the other side of the ribbon in order to prevent any grease marks. Anyone tried that?

Oh, and do I need a center dowel if the cake is being assembled and disassembled in the same place?

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #26 of 34

I'm working on a baby shower cake for Sunday. Vanilla 8 and 6 in tiers with a tree up the front, fall colors, and "apple of my eye" somewhere on the cake.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:00am
post #27 of 34

Just finished a Clone Trooper helmet and a Ravens football halmet....headed to the beach tomorrow to visit my family.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:07am
post #28 of 34

working on a cake for sunday a purse cake I have covered the base cake and will cover the purse tomorrow. I am such a sloooooooow cake decorator that's one of the reason's why I had to start tonight.

leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:10am
post #29 of 34

kger, no center dowel needed if you're assembling it on site.

Apti Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 4:22am
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Aww, Apti, that sounds like a great celebration.

It's even better because 2 of the 3 kids we'll be taking went to pre-school at the center. Each year their pre-school teachers cannot believe how they are growing!

Cenell - "poquito espanol"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%