I Need Some Coookie Help Fast

Baking By teddy0826 Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 3:43am by teddy0826

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 12:38am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,
I need some advice. I started making cookies and now i make cookies for some local coffee shops. I use the cookie recipe from this site and was always fine. I changed my ingrediants though to help with costs. I started buying in bulk and use Costco butter and flour. I don't know if this is the case though. It seems my cookies are breaking easily. I roll them out to 1/4 inch. When i roll my dough in the mixer it sticks to the sides too, I tried adding alittle more flour but seem not to help much, as before it would roll into a ball. What are the names of some good flour, butter, and that won't break your wallet. Also, I like to roll out my dough in between wax paper. Is there anything I could reuse to cut costs. I do reuse the waxpaper until I can't use it anymore but going through alot.
Thanks for listening.

7 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 8

I can't help with your breaking cookies, but it sounds like if the problem started when you switched brands, then the cheaper ingredients may be the culprit. I believe if you want a quality product, use quality ingredients - no skimping. I've learned the hard way to live by the adage, "You get what you pay for." I use only the best ingredients because if the product isn't good, no one will be buying it.

Good luck and happy baking!

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 8

How frustrating.. I'm not sure about quality of butter ( I'm sure there is a difference), I use costco sometimes..doesn't seem to affect my cookies.. I know from yrs as a bread baker moisture content of wheat can affect flour..again, I have never had trouble with my cookies.. If you add more flour to get to correct dough consistancey does it change your cookie? I roll cookies on stainless steel table without wax or parchment, just flour.. I guess you can go back to your original brands and see if the cookies go back to normal.

Good Luck.

teddy0826 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:29am
post #4 of 8

What is a good brand of butter and flour?

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 8

I use Costco's flour, sugar, and butter all the time and have never had a problem. Do you sift your dry ingredients? Do you weigh them?

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:56am
post #6 of 8

I use Sam's Club butter and flour with no problems. I also went to JoAnn Fabrisc and purchased 1/2 yard of heavy weight clear plastic. It is wonderful for rolling cookies dough, you don't need additional flour. For $1.25 I got a huge piece of plastic (used my 1/2 off coupon for it). Just fold in half and put your dough between and roll away - no stick!
I also use this for rolling my fondant.
Good luck.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 2:30am
post #7 of 8

Teddy0826: I understand cutting your costs but if the first time like you made them came out good..I would go back to those brands you used for those batches from the beginning. NOt sure why of the cost cuts,,but if it sells and works great..I would go back to that way. Then you may sell a lot and increase your production. I wouldn't change it up. Especially with your business that you wouldn't want to take risks on.

Happy baking.

teddy0826 Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 3:43am
post #8 of 8

I just made a batch tonight and I noticed the one cookie pan I just bought was making them alot more crispy. And I have airbake pans and the cookies felt alot nicer. Do you think that could be it? What is a kood Cookie Pan? Thanks everyone for your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%