6/8 In Or 8/10 In?

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 5:32pm by anoldhippy

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 8

A friend asked me to do a cake for party. The party's for 40 people, but she said she wanted extra cake, so we decided on an 8/10 round set up. I'm still pretty new to this, but when I picture an 8 on top of a 10, and that's it, it looks pretty squat. I think part of the appeal for tiered cakes is the height. Would 6/8 in tiers look better? I thought maybe I could triple layer the cake so it would still be about the same amount of cake, but then it would look taller and elegant. Thoughts?

7 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 8

The 6 & 8 would be quite a stretch serving wise. A 6 & 8 serve 36 together and that is with the standard tiny wedding cake slice (1" &2") If your friend wants to have extra cake you should really go with the 8 & 10

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 8

They'll look about the same, because the difference is still 2", meaning that you'll have a 1" ledge all the way around. The size difference between the tiers helps create the illusion of a taller, more elegant cake. Why don't you do a 6/10?

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 8

Great questionl I am doing a wedding cake and most bakeries tell me they make 3 layers per tier. How high are their layers? Thanks

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with Texas_Rose. I would recommend 6/10. A 4-inch difference between tiers looks a lot better anyway, IMO.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 8

i do 3 2" layers most of the time

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldhippy

Great questionl I am doing a wedding cake and most bakeries tell me they make 3 layers per tier. How high are their layers? Thanks

The goal is to get the tiers to be at least 4" tall. Some people use two layers that are 2" high each. It seems like the bigger tiers don't always bake up as tall. If I'm making a 12 or 14 inch tier, I usually do three layers because it bakes better that way. Otherwise, I just do two layers.

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for taking time to reply. Great help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%