Fondant Pleating On Bottom Tier

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 12:29pm by Jannie92869

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 4

The bride has come to me with a picture similar to the one linked here. The one linked was made by jaklotz1..I have sent her a PM as well. The bottom tier of my cake will be 14". Fondant cut to 16" then pleated.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1194105
(Tried to link before...hope it works this time)

I have done my first dry run on a dummy cake and this is what I ran in to:

The pleating opened up too large once I tried to place on the cake..so it is wide; Should I roll thinner? Use dowels first to make an impression?

I experienced some cracking of the fondant when trying to move maybe I should rub it in shortening to make more pliable?;

The next tier did not sit flush on that bottom tier.

The fondant on the bottom tier became hard as a rock...should I suggest the bottom tier be a dummy cake or will they just be able to pull it off when they are ready to cut? Maybe the fondant will react differently if placed on actual buttercream?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

3 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 4

Are you trying to do the pleating w/ one big sheet of fondant? I've only seen pleating done with individual swatches, cut the same dimensions, then folded and over lapped etc.

This cake could be achieved that way.

I'd go ahead and stack the 2nd tier onto the bottom. THEN apply the drapes in the following manner:

Cut a rectangle long enough to span the distance from where the base of your second tier will hit the top of the bottom tier on down to the base of the cake where you want the excess to "pool" like drapes.

Then, you fold under one side (so you can't see the edge), let's say the right side, about 1/2 inch or so (Just use a bit of water to keep it in place). Then drape this piece on the cake.

Then using the same dimensions, cut another swatch, fold it on the right side and place it overlapping the LEFT side of the piece you just did. Continue on around. A small border would be all that's needed to smooth over the place where the pleats meet the 2nd tier.

This is how I've seen it done at least and that's how I'd approach it. I'm sure other have more ideas. Best of luck. Post pics!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:13am
post #3 of 4

Hi, this is definetly done in sections. Roll fondant nice and thin. Do as the op said and put top tier on and go from there. Use nice fondant , one that will be pliable and stretch good for you, and not dry out. I think, on Satinice.com, they show how to do this.So take a look at this.They show a lot of tutorials on fondant. hth

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for all your tips.
Yes, I did do the pieces in sections on my cake. My folds were just too big and indented. When I say folds....I actually had the fondant in my hands like a fan until I reached the cake...then I sorta unfolded it and started attaching it to cake about 2.5 inches in. This is what caused the next tier not to sit flat. So now...I'm trying to see how (in my mind) I would attach it after the other tier is on without making a mess or appearing bulky. The bride has requested fondant pearls where these two cakes meet but because of the unevenness the pearls did not end up in a straight line...some up..some down. icon_cry.gif

Again thanks for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%