Bowling Ball Cake

Decorating By rosa369 Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm by rosa369

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 5

What's the best way to carve a bowling ball cake and covering it in fondant? I know that Wilton has a ball baking pan but I don't want to spend money bying the mold. I was thinking on carving the cake and covering it in fondant. Any advise?

Thank you.

4 replies
SweetSyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSyren Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 5

I honestly cant think if a away to carve a good round shape from a non domed cake pan. I made a 1/2 bowling ball and used the Betty Crocker bake and fill set that I have. One of the pans is a dome but I know you stated you did not want to buy anything. Sorry I couldn't be of more help icon_redface.gif

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:20am
post #3 of 5

Honestly I would buy the wilton ball pan or buy oven safe round bowls to bake it in!
It will make your life so much easier - I promise! lol
Can u rent a pan at any stores near you? We can rent them for $2.99 at the Bulk Barn in Ontario.

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:29am
post #4 of 5

I did one in rice krispies and covered it in fondant and set it on a "lane" sheet cake. In my photos if you want.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 5

thank you guys. Unfortunately I can't rent any mold here. I've seen some bowling ball cakes in the sport gallery and saw some nice carved bowling ball cake. I'll look for some bowl that I could bake the cake to make my life easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%