How Do I Get Vivid Colors

Decorating By Winnie Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm by Elcee

Winnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a Halloween cake and need a deep purple, orange and lime green. I used Electric orange but it is still kinda pastel. I was afraid to use too much coloring and the samething with the purple. What shoud I be doing?

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 7

waht are you trying to color? fondant? buttercream? Bettercream?

if fondant are you making it? if buttercream, what type? american? IMBC? SMBC?

if your getting pastels though, you'll need to add more coloring. Bright and dark colors do take a little more time to reach their full color potential, let them sit overnight and the colors should deepen too. But not from a pastel color, that's still a little to far to go icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 7

Add more color...that's all that's going to work icon_biggrin.gif

Winnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 7

I am using buttercream with Americolor electric colors. Will using alot make the icing bitter?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 7

I used those and my buttercream didn't taste bad. I did add a little extra almond flavor to the red, but the orange and green were fine without anything extra. You can see the colors on my "Little Monster" cupcakes in my photos. Good Luck!

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 7

I use Americolor liquid color...in the squeeze bottle. I'm able to ge the vibrant reds and deep blues without it affecting the taste of the icing. I've used it on fondant and buttercream.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 7

Winnie, I sent you a PM when you asked this question in a comment on my Halloween cake. Didn't you get it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%