Help! Buttercream That Doesn't Crust?

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 4:52pm by traci_doodle

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making cupcakes for a friend and she wanted me to frost them but then a bunch of 2-yr-olds are going to decorate them for a birthday party. I know that sprinkles don't stick after the frosting has crusted, so is there a buttercream that will allow sprinkles to stick hours later or should I just have the 2-yr-olds frost their cupcakes too?

Here was the recipe I was considering using:
1 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
few tsp/tblsp milk, to get the right consistency

10 replies
shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 11

Just use a non-crusting recipe, and even a cream cheese frosting is yummy! I did a cookie pop party for my grandson and I just bought the Wilton tub of frosting for the kids and it worked fine. They had a blast decorating!

traci_doodle Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 11

I've tried searching for a non-crusting buttercream, but all the recipes that come up are for crusting buttercreams. I thought if I used butter instead of shortening that would keep it from crusting, but I don't know if it's actually the amount of sugar that causes it to crust. Anyone know?

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 11

I think it's the sugar to fat ratio that causes crusting. The more sugar, the more likely to crust. Have you considered IMBC or SMBC ? They're buttercreams that don't crust.

(Edited to fix my missing ? mark. icon_confused.gif Off-topic, does anyone know why punctuation is deleted if it immediately follows a "known" acronym? Grrr...)

(Edited AGAIN... It's STILL missing!!! icon_cry.gif I'm typing that ? mark, I swear!)

shearpamela Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 11

Here is another:
[url]http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/298/

But I agree with Sugar Fiend on the SMBC, it is so good! I have yet to try the IMBC for myself.[/url]

traci_doodle Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 11

What are IMBC and SMBC?

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 11

Swiss Meringue Buttercream and Italian Meringue Buttercream. The main difference, as far as I'm aware, is method of preparation. With SMBC, you heat the sugar and egg whites to 160 degrees, whip into meringue, then add the butter. With IMBC, you whip the uncooked whites into meringue, then add (in a thin stream) sugar syrup you've heated to... umm, not sure what temp. icon_redface.gif (I'm an SMBC gal...)

Here's SMBC I use from this site: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

I know that sprinkles don't stick after the frosting has crusted, so is there a buttercream that will allow sprinkles to stick hours later or should I just have the 2-yr-olds frost their cupcakes too?

I'd keep it simple... since they're only 2-year-olds, you could ice them in advance but keep the icing flat on the surface--no giant swirls, then let them dip their cupcake into a bowl of sprinkles. It won't matter if the icing has crusted or not, the sprinkles will stick this way as long as they aren't trying to shake sprinkles on top.

traci_doodle Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everybody! You're the best! I'm not sure which route I'll take; I'll have to see want my friend wants to do, but this certainly gives me options!

traci_doodle Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everybody! You're the best! I'm not sure which route I'll take; I'll have to see want my friend wants to do, but this certainly gives me options!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%