Feeling A Little Used...

Lounge By theonlynameleft Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 1:59am by theonlynameleft

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 8

My little boy's first birthday was in July, I didn't have a party or anything so when my best friend didn't get him a gift I wasn't worried & actually said to her a few weeks after "look, please don't get him anything & from now on we won't give each other's kids presents" because was looking for an opportunity to give up on so much gift giving cos it gets a bit out of control. Thought as she hadn't already gotten him a gift it was a good time to knock the whole thing on the head.

Anyway, she said no - it was his first birthday so she still intended to get him something. Oh well nevermind. So a month or so later she mentions she has a gift for him but keeps forgetting to drop it off.

Anyway, she then asks me a while later to make her daughter a cake for her first birthday. As she had said my son's birthday present was still coming I felt obligated to still get her daughter something this year. So I said, look, I will make the cake for her birthday party as her birthday gift. Anyway, she definately still wants the cake but I find out today I am not even invited - its a family only thing. I sort of feel like I have been a bit taken advantage of - but maybe I am just being too sensitive.

She had originally offered to pay for it but had said I was happy to do it as her daughter's gift - presuming I would be attending the party. In addition to that my son's birthday was mid July - no gift has materialised yet. I think I might have been had!!!! thumbsdown.gif

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:06am
post #2 of 8

I think you may have been had...I have a SIL who is really bad for saying.."Oh..I have a gift for so and so" and it never does get dropped off..It kinda makes you feel like they were just trying to look generous by giving a gift but never really intended to get the gift in the first place hoping you wouldn't remember or forget.It's like my daughter's birthday was coming up and she invited several little girls ...the day of the party a mom calls and says her daughter is sick and can't come but she has a gift for her anyway...Well we never did see the gift and I figured she phoned and lied about her daughter being sick so she wouldn't have to get a gift or couldn't afford one but then why would she say she has one and never give it?Weird...

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 8

Just tell your friend that when you deliver the cake you will be able to pick up your sons gift at that time. If she says that she will pick up the cake, then say "Oh, great then we can exchange kids birthday gifts".

I doubt that she got your child anything because if it was clothes, your child has outgrown it, if a toy, it is probably not age appropriate anymore.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 8

I think that you have been had too. It is amazing how friends seem to come out of the woodwork when their kids birthdays are around the corner.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

Just tell your friend that when you deliver the cake you will be able to pick up your sons gift at that time. If she says that she will pick up the cake, then say "Oh, great then we can exchange kids birthday gifts".

I doubt that she got your child anything because if it was clothes, your child has outgrown it, if a toy, it is probably not age appropriate anymore.

I agree. Make sure she brings the gift with her if she picks up the cake, or, as they say often here, these says -
"No Cake For You

Theresa icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

I love this idea! It really did make me laugh out loud! thumbs_up.gif

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 8

I agree about exchanging gifts at the cake pick-up time, but I would, at that point, advise her that you can no longer afford to exchange gifts, this way no feelings should be hurt in the future. I think we all have cheapskates somewhere in our lives.

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:59am
post #8 of 8

She had originally offered to pay but I had said I would do it because this "phantom" gift for my son had supposedly already been purchased. I am also going to have to bust a gut because I work Monday to Friday, have two under four and have one other cake and a dozen cupcakes the same day so I am feeling a little burned!

I don't like to have to ask for a gift because feel like its a bit "tit for tat" but think in the future I won't offer to do friends cakes & if they request I will make sure that I charge them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%