Would An Edible Image Stick On Fondant?

Decorating By fostergirl77 Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 3:14am by icingimages

fostergirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fostergirl77 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 13

I'm planning to do an Ironman 2 cake and I want to use one of those edible images that you can buy online. I know that those things stick on buttercream covered cakes or on whip cream. Anybody ever tried it on fondant? Maybe use piping gel or mist it with water to let it stick on the fondant? Would greatly appreciate any info or experience on this. Thanks!!!1

12 replies
Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 13

Sure it will! You can brush a little water or even piping gel to get it to stick.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 13

Just wipe the fondant with a damp pape trowel befole appying the EI and it will stick just fine.

MasONeil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MasONeil Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 13

If the fondant is freshly rolled and moist it will stick. But if it has dried a bit, then just lightly brush with a little water (make sure that your base cake isn't of a color that will bleed through to your image). I have also used a thinned buttercream in the area that the printed image is going to go.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #5 of 13

It depends on the type of fondant. Fondarific, the images stick to immediately. Satin Ice you have to moisten with water before applying.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 13

I steamed my fondant then applied my edible image.

fostergirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fostergirl77 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks guys! I'm so excited to do this!

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 13

I used an edible image on my last cake, (my most recent photo) it was a 'gold band' image, I just painted some tylose glue on the fondant, and placed the band on the cake! I had never used an edible image on fondant before, but it went on beautifully, if I do say so myself!! ~~

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 13

Wiping the fondant with a damp paper towel works great. The image is basically a frosting sheet and will stick to the fondant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 13

Don't get to much water on it.... I'm with the others, I just wet a paper towel (dampen) and wipe that on the fondant, then stick image.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:45am
post #11 of 13

I put an EI on a sheet of white chocolate clay today to make a flag. I lightly dampened it with water and it worked perfectly.

Bossy Cake lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Cake lady Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 13

Does anyone know if you can steam the edible image once on the fondant cake, or will this make the image run and a mess on the cake???

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:14am
post #13 of 13

IT is best NOT to steam the image, it will make the colors run. All the methods people mentioned worked great! I usually use a damp paper towel myself! But if the frosting is fresh....no need to add any water, just apply direct to the frosting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%