Which Is The Best Mff Recipe??

Baking By ycknits Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 3:40am by ycknits

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 6

I'm getting ready to make my first batch of MFF after a struggle with my standard MMF. But I'm confused by the Michele Foster Fondant recipes on CC.... one is sugarflowers updated update, posted as Michele Foster's Fondant on April 4, 2009. The other is posted as Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant, posted by Renaejrk on April 13, 2009 - shared with Michele Foster's permission. The second recipe has 50% (!!) more gelatin, butter, and glycerin than the first. This seems like a very significant difference to me. Has anyone tried both? and which do you recommend?

Thanks so much for your opinions!!

5 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 6

I've only tried the first one you mentioned, but I've tried it as is and with white chocolate added in. I definitely prefer it with the white chocolate; really good!

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Try this one. I had great success with this one last weekend. Look at the votes cast on the recipe. Macsmom always has good recipes.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation

tbmichals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbmichals Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 6

I just came on this site with the same question. Great minds think alike icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 6

I have tried both, and I prefer the 2 Tblsp version.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 3:40am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this! I have now secured the glycerine, so will make up a "2 Tbs" batch of MFF tomorrow. And I was wondering what to do with the multiple bags of marshmallows that I have on hand, so will also make up a batch of Macsmom's MMF. I agree that what I know of her recipes is very favorable. And I like what she says about working in as much PS as possible and even adding a little gumpaste or tylose to firm it up if necessary. I've been feeling like my MMF is just a little too soft and flexible. During the summer, I blamed the wavy sides on a few of my cakes on the darned hot, humid weather. But that couldn't have been my problem yesterday. So I'm on a quest to find something better. Since I do a lot of charity baking, I'm also intent on keeping the fondant cost down - i.e. homemade vs. purchased. I'll add a post with my findings in a week or so. I have 5 cakes to make in the next two weeks so will be able to do some side-by-side comparisons. One is a cake for a 60th wedding anniversary. I will probably just buy some Pettinice for that one as insurance and use it unless I have awesome results with one of my new trials. Oh, well.... this all makes life interesting :>) Again, thanks so much for your suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%