Butter Prices. You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!!

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 2:19am by BethLS

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 83

I went to Costco today and the butter had gone down a bit. Last week it was 10.19 for the 4 - 1 pounds package, today it was 9.99. I thought maybe this was a new trend, told the cashier I was excited about the butter heading back down. She said don't get too excited, they are in the process of moving it up to $14 for the 4 pound package over the next few months!!!

Glad I have an extra freezer, I'm going to be storing up some butter!

82 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 83

At least she was nice enough to tell you! Some places like to be hush, hush on stuff like that.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 83

Yep, even my bulk block of 55# has gone from about $107 to $150. Ugh. icon_sad.gif

aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 83

I just made my own butter in my KA, 2 cups of heavy cream made 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of buttermilk, If I go in this direction, I can make butter for $1.79 a pound.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I just made my own butter in my KA, 2 cups of heavy cream made 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of buttermilk, If I go in this direction, I can make butter for $1.79 a pound.

WOW...that's resourceful. I may have to do this too...the prices are unreal icon_cry.gif

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 83

Great idea, aligotmatt!!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 83

My question is: WHY???
I mean, I know supply and demand. But what is the issue with the supply? I'm in WI and there are still plenty of cows!! lol!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 83
Quote:

Ok so how do you make your own butter?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 83

Okay, so I thought maybe it was just me! But I've noticed butter prices increasing for the last month or so! And it's NEVER on sale anymore! What gives!?!?

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 83

Butter is $5.99 a pound here, I would happy to pay your prices ! lol
I know that butter prices everywhere have gone up,
But people can't understand why the cake prices have to go up too... icon_eek.gif
Jodi icon_smile.gif

CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 83

I keep hoping it would be headed back down. Here in PA it is $2.89/lb. Normally there is a "sale" at one of the 3 chain stores and I can find it for about $2/lb. I was going to get my SIL to take me to Costco go buy in bulk, given the prices, I guess I better get over there soon.

alligotmat - I would be intrested in knowing how you make your own butter in your KA as well.

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 83

Yep, have noticed and that same 4lb block is usually around 6-7$... bjs its $10.19 also.

aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 83

I followed this guy. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Butter-1/

At Costco I can get heavy cream for $1.79 for a quart and get a pound of butter from it. It took me less than 20 minutes, but I didn't wait for my HC to get to 61 degrees either, straight from 35 degree fridge to mixer.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 83

Once you get the butter made would it be possible to freeze it? Maybe to stockpile a little when I had time.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 83

How long does the homemade butter last in your fridge? Can you freeze it?

I watched the video and it looks like it would be fun to try. Thanks for sharing that with us icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:23pm
post #16 of 83

I know, its over $10 for the four-pack at Sam's that I get, too. Horrendous. Only just last year I was only paying $6 for the same thing.

Yet, eggs went pretty drastically down.... and milk stayed relatively the same...? Maybe because there are state restrictions on milk and not butter, so they add the cost to the butter? I dunno....

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:26pm
post #17 of 83

If you're not opposed to buying a NO NAME brand, I buy butter for @ $1.69 per pound a places like
"Aldi" or "Save a Lot".

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:28pm
post #18 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

If you're not opposed to buying a NO NAME brand, I buy butter for @ $1.69 per pound a places like
"Aldi" or "Save a Lot".

I have a cake friend who buys her butter at Aldi and at least around here, she says it seems to be about $2.50/lb which is about what it is at Sam's, maybe a few cents more.

Kandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandis Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:35pm
post #19 of 83

Obviously I am very new here, I had no idea you could freeze butter. I guess I just never thought about it! How long is it good for when you do that? Thanks for the idea!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:50pm
post #20 of 83

I'll buy any brand of butter, as long as it's rated "Grade AA"--just like Land O' Lakes.

I bought a store brand the other day, grade AA, for $2.50/lb. last week--and that was big sale-- .89 off/lb. The Land O' Lakes was right next to it at $3.69/lb..............

I'm hoping that as the holidays near, some of the stores will put the butter on sale as a loss-leader and when they do, I'll be filling my brand new freezer to the gills!

I wrap the boxes of butter in some saran and then put a bunch in a 2 gallon zip loc bag. I've had it last for over a year that way. I only defrost it as I need it.

Rae

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:54pm
post #21 of 83

Thanks for the tip about making butter. I think it will be fun to try and I could save money too!

aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:05pm
post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I know, its over $10 for the four-pack at Sam's that I get, too. Horrendous. Only just last year I was only paying $6 for the same thing.

Yet, eggs went pretty drastically down.... and milk stayed relatively the same...? Maybe because there are state restrictions on milk and not butter, so they add the cost to the butter? I dunno....

Our food distributor (who charges more for butter than costco) says it's a gov't conspiracy to cut down the obesity epidemic. Maybe if butter isn't so high, people will eat broccoli?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:10pm
post #23 of 83
Quote:

Our food distributor (who charges more for butter than costco) says it's a gov't conspiracy to cut down the obesity epidemic. Maybe if butter isn't so high, people will eat broccoli?

Oh, I'm sure that was said tongue-in-cheek, because no one in their right mind LIKES BROCCOLI WITHOUT BUTTER ON IT icon_lol.gif

I don't think butter has contributed to obesity for many years--certainly not since margarine became a staple in the American refrigerator.

Sugar & carbs, other fats, and lack of activity contribute to the obesity epidemic a LOT more than butter.........

Rae

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:13pm
post #24 of 83

I agree, I can think of a ton of other things that contribute to the obesity epidemic and I really doubt butter is a main reason for it. I'd think more along the lines of soda, chips, snack cakes...ect....ect....

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:23pm
post #25 of 83

I live in Ontario and drive over the border to buy my butter. About 70-80lbs at a time when Tops has it on sale.

I pay $4.50+ for butter. Walmart has their brand on sale sometimes for $3.79.

The border guards always look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them what I got....LOL

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:39pm
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

Oh, I'm sure that was said tongue-in-cheek, because no one in their right mind LIKES BROCCOLI WITHOUT BUTTER ON IT icon_lol.gif

I don't think butter has contributed to obesity for many years--certainly not since margarine became a staple in the American refrigerator.

Sugar & carbs, other fats, and lack of activity contribute to the obesity epidemic a LOT more than butter.........

Rae

Or cheese! Don't forget the cheese! icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:43pm
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I'll buy any brand of butter, as long as it's rated "Grade AA"--just like Land O' Lakes.

For baking - yes. For frosting - no way. I learned the hard way too. When LOL went to $3.99 a lb here (and I guess it is going to go higher), I used our local store brand. For baking it is fine. For frosting, namely SMBC, it turned a darker shade and got a waxy, greasy sheen to it. I tossed a batch that was less then 24 hours old and stored in the fridge also.

Now for frosting it is only LOL. For cakes I use the store brand.

I am going to try making my own if I can find the restaurant brand cream. I also had a link I saved where you can butter in your food processor. Basically you turn it on and let it run til the cream turns to butter. But if I can find the link again, I'll post it. Only because the guy doing the video is so funny!

tortitas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tortitas Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:45pm
post #28 of 83

I'm from Ontario also and they range from $3.97 to a whopping $5.97! My friend told me she also goes to Buffalo to buy butter, I didn't know that was allowed. This may be the reason why your (US) butter is going up? ooops hee,heee

LindaF144a Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:48pm
post #29 of 83

okay, here is the video for making butter in a food processor.
I must say I love the bonnet!

http://www.sippitysup.com/butter

You will love the video and this guy's sense of humor too.

One other thing, in the end where he works the butter with a pastry cutter, I have read where you can sieve it through a cheese cloth for a fastier, more efficient method.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 11:50pm
post #30 of 83

I have a question, why is unsalted butter more than salted butter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%