Storage For Silicon Molds?

Decorating By jones5cm Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm by jones5cm

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 7

I just got the small baby mold from First Impressions (BTW; love it and having a blast making little babies with it!!) and was wondering whats the best method or place to store the mold when not in use. I thought about leaving it in the freezer; but not sure if that's the best place for it. Where do you store your silicon molds??

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 7

I just keep them in a drawer to protect them from dust. I'm curious to know why you would keep it in the freezer...?

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 7

I have a plastic shoebox that I keep all of mine in.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 7

Same here - a plastic box with tissue wrapped around all the molds.

jones5cm Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I... I'm curious to know why you would keep it in the freezer...?

I suppose I've got the freezer idea to keep it from losing it's shape in a drawer or box with other cake supplies. This is my first silicone mold and the only care instructions on the website says "The life of your mold will be greatly extended with careful handling...just wash it with regular soap and water...If you need dry the mold immediately, we recommend a synthetic lint-free chamois". Nothing about storing it safely.
Thanks for your response though...should I at least keep it in something like a zip lock baggie or container?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:06am
post #6 of 7

From the Make Your Own Molds website (makeyourownmolds.com:

How should I store my molds?
First, you should clean the molds before storing them. Molds should be stored lying flat either wrapped or in food storage containers. Molds should not be stored underneath other objects or weighted down in a way that forces the mold into an artificial configuration that can warp the mold and change its natural shape.

jones5cm Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks DianeLM...I didn't think about looking at MYOM for info! Very helpful...so I think I'll just get a box of some sort (maybe even a sandwich keeper) and keep the mold in my cake supply drawer. Thanks for your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%