Making A Castle Cake - How Do I Make The Cobblestone Imprint

Decorating By Lori0514 Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 7:36pm by Lori0514

Lori0514 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori0514 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 15

Hi!
I am making a castle cake for my daughter with fondant/gumpaste towers and have seen some beautiful pictures where they use a cobblestone/brick imprint on the castle and towers. Just wondering if I can get that same effect "on the cheap" without having to buy the imprints. If anyone has ever done this and has some tips to share, I'd sure appreciate it! Any tips on how to make this cake in general would be great too.

THANKS!!!

14 replies
ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 15

You can find the cobblestone imprinter at Michaels with Duffs cake supplies or with the sculpey supplies. Check on line, cake decorating supply stores.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 15

You could take a paring knife or fondant tool and straigh tedge to freehand the bricks, but that will take painstakingly long, I would just buy the imprint

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 15

I just did it last night, since I misplaced my impression mats somehow icon_smile.gif Just uploaded to my album. Not quite a castle, but you get the idea.

I used fondarific, which makes it easier since it doesn't dry up or crack. If you use mmf would be good too.
I color the fondant to grey, roll it out and cover the cake.
Then I take the modelling tool(?Is that what's it called? It's the pointy end of the Wilton Ball Tool), and use that to go 90 degrees on the fondant surface. I drew some big irregular circles, sometimes make it with pointy edges. Then I add some smaller circles and lines to make smaller looking stones. After it's all done, you may want to go over all the lines again to make sure they are deep enough.
hth

hugsfrombev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugsfrombev Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 15

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-699239-waffle.html

Saw some neat ideas for improvising in this thread!

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 15

I know this isn't the greatest tip, but when I need something but don't want to spend the money on the "real" tool, I walk through my house and see if I can come up with anything that might work. For instance for this I would probably walk around and find a small plastic basket that just hold odd and ins in it. The ones that have wholes. I know i'm not describing that great but it is a bunch of squares. If you pressed the side of that one the fondant it would imprint it with the squares. They wouldn't be off center like most brick but should do the trick. I hope I helped and didn't confuse you!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 15

Cake Boss (the software company..not Buddy) has a wonderful tutorial also on how to do a castle cake if needed. I bought my impression mat (Duffs) at Michaels.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraFlora

I just did it last night, since I misplaced my somehow icon_smile.gif Just uploaded to my album. Not quite a castle, but you get the idea.

I used fondarific, which makes it easier since it doesn't dry up or crack. If you use mmf would be good too.
I color the fondant to grey, roll it out and cover the cake.
Then I take the modelling tool(?Is that what's it called? It's the pointy end of the Wilton Ball Tool), and use that to go 90 degrees on the fondant surface. I drew some big irregular circles, sometimes make it with pointy edges. Then I add some smaller circles and lines to make smaller looking stones. After it's all done, you may want to go over all the lines again to make sure they are deep enough.
hth

Well, somehow I think this would have been easier than what I did. I made 3 shades of gray fondant and rolled them into different sized balls and made my own cobblestone. You can see it in my watering can photo. I was very happy with the outcome. Now, however, I wish I had thought of this tecnique. icon_smile.gif

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 15

Couple of ways I've done it. I've used a straight ruler and ruled horizontal lines in the fondant (when on the cake) with a sharp knife and then gone back and free handed in the vertical brick lines.

Otherwise I have also used an empty matchbox, the sleeve that goes over it which is a rectangle brick shape. Time consuming but gives a good imprint and obviosly cheaper than an impression mat.

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808hedda

Well, somehow I think this would have been easier than what I did. I made 3 shades of gray fondant and rolled them into different sized balls and made my own cobblestone. You can see it in my watering can photo. I was very happy with the outcome. Now, however, I wish I had thought of this tecnique. icon_smile.gif

wow, your cobblestone looks so good. Yours is more realistic. Mine is impressionist style icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 15

Not exactly cobblestone, but I used a waffle (yep a waffle like you bake in your waffle iron for breakfast) on the last cake I posted in my gallery. Get your buttercream crusted, and gently press into the cake. It was exactly the effect the bride and groom wanted on this unique cake they ordered.

HTH.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraFlora

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808hedda

wow, your cobblestone looks so good. Yours is more realistic. Mine is impressionist style icon_wink.gif

Thanks FloraFlora. Can't take all the credit as I had my 9 yr old daughter roll all the balls icon_lol.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 15

Next time try bubble wrap - I used it for my castle turrets. I spread melted chocolate on the bubble wrap and then allowed it to set in flower formers. It worked great! It would also work as an "impression map" on BC or fondant.

Lori0514 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 15

After I made the cake, I saw the imprints by Duff at Michael's Craft Store - they were only $5-6, definitely worth it to me. My castle cake turned out okay, my 4-yr old daughter commented that it didn't look like the picture I printed from here - lol! Those MMF/Gumpaste towers were a chore to make! I ended up using a butter knife (the non-serrated side) to make the cobblestone patterns. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Lori0514 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 15

To Bakingpw: I love your idea - I'll have to experiment with that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%