Frozen Buttercreme Transfer Or Royal Icing?????

Decorating By JanessaJo Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm by MAMAWOF4

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 4

For a halloween cake i'm doing this weekend, I have decided to write "boo humbug" on it many times with a small font....instead of one time really big

I've never done a frozen transfer, but I've read about it and it seems very easy, so I was going to pipe the letters on parchment paper, freeze, then just peel them off and stick them to the cake OR should I make royal icing (which ive never done before, but read about and it seems easy too) and do it that way.

I don't know if one is easier over the other or anything, just some advice from you pro's out there would be great =) thanks!

3 replies
JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:27am
post #2 of 4


Tamara981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamara981 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 4

I would go with the transfer over royal icing. I have done buttercream transfers a few times and they are pretty easy. Doing one this weekend actually for a haunted house lol.

Or you could just free hand it.

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 4

I would do buttercream transfer - it is extremely simple and forgiving. RI tends to be brittle (unless I just made mine wrong) and I would be afraid of pieces falling apart. With the BCT you would need to pipe in mirror image writing - that way when you turn it over onto cake and remove waxed paper, it will be readable. I used BCT for a Jack Skellington cake my first time with it and everyone thought I had drawn it freehand. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%