So Are You Saying Dont Buy A Cricut Cake?

Decorating By coldtropics Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 2:24pm by SillySkittles

ocwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ocwebb Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:14am
post #61 of 91

I have tried all of the above hints with my circuit with no success. The blade just seems to drag thru the fondant. I've rotated the blade, tried new blades,changed the pressure--you name it I did it. I have never gotten even one decent cut I should've returned it but thought it was a learning curve thing.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:25am
post #62 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwebb

I have tried all of the above hints with my circuit with no success. The blade just seems to drag thru the fondant. I've rotated the blade, tried new blades,changed the pressure--you name it I did it. I have never gotten even one decent cut I should've returned it but thought it was a learning curve thing.

What fondant/gumpaste are you using? How thin are you rolling it? How long are you letting it set before trying to cut?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:33am
post #63 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwebb

You need to put it mat and all in the freezer for 3o mins or so, and then it will cut....thats what works for me

CakesbyCase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCase Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:04pm
post #64 of 91

I love, love, love my Cricut. Due to the price, I researched, hemmed, hawed and everything else before I took the plunge.

It was delivered on Friday and I immediately got to work. Thanks to all of the hints and tips that I've read on here, I was immediately able to cut out some pretty decent letters.

There will definitely be some practice involved, but I'm up for it!

pezadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pezadoodle Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:04pm
post #65 of 91

great tips on here - i think i have been rolling my too thick for one thing. i may have to break down and get a clay roller (i already have one for clay icon_razz.gif) i tried fondant in the freezer method once and it was the WORST experience EVER. used the cricut gumpaste in the tub and it worked pretty well. taste is not too bad either. we are going to attempt a winter snowman cake this weekend so i will post pics when it is done. the biggest difference i am going to try this time for me is to cut my decorations FIRST and when those are ALL done then i will bake and ice my cake.

jessdcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessdcox Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:13pm
post #66 of 91

I just got my cricut yesterday, took it out of the box, put everything together, loaded the fondant, and sad to say the blade don't even touch the mat, am i missing a step, or did i get a faulty machine... My blade housing, contracts, like springs a little is it suppose to be like that? Please help me, i really don't want to send it back.. icon_sad.gif does anyone know the number or contact info for it, its no where on any of my books..

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:20pm
post #67 of 91

What kind of Cricut did you get? A Cricut Cake or a regular Cricut?

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:24pm
post #68 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdcox

I just got my yesterday, took it out of the box, put everything together, loaded the fondant, and sad to say the blade don't even touch the mat, am i missing a step, or did i get a faulty machine... My blade housing, contracts, like springs a little is it suppose to be like that? Please help me, i really don't want to send it back.. icon_sad.gif does anyone know the number or contact info for it, its no where on any of my books..

Are you sure you have that blade housing down far enough? The instructions for the cake cricut are misleading, IMO. I had to take the screw all the way off and open the black arms. The white housing should only have that one top section sticking up after you close the black arms and put the screw back on.

The directions sort of make it look like it's the middle of the blade housing that gets squeezed by the black arms. You shouldn't see the middle white ridge above the black if I am picturing it right.

The needle should be just above the mat, but not by much.

Look at page 9 of the manual and see if you have those little side ridges lined up right as well. There was not a black arrow for me to use on mine! Just a barely noticeable mark to denote which way was forward facing.

jessdcox Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #69 of 91

cricut cake mini, and i tried fitting it in the housing the only way it fits, is with only the top showing. can u buy longer blades for cricut cake?

Karen421 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:33pm
post #70 of 91

Try this video, it will show how to insert the blade.

Hopefully it will help! icon_biggrin.gif

jessdcox Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:57pm
post #71 of 91

ok so i called the support center, they showed me how to reset it, that didn't help, and i was sooo hoping it would. icon_sad.gif Luckily they are very nice people and they are sending me another one. Now i know it was broken before i got it, cuz i watched the video on youtube, and noticed that my blade doesn't go up or down. just kinda stays in the middle, enough to drag itself across the material but not enough to cut it completely. Of course it would be my luck for it to happen to me, first it got missorted to another city and i had to wait and extra week to get it, and now a week before my birthday, i have to get a broken one. icon_sad.gif Please cake Fairies let the next one work.. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:30pm
post #72 of 91

Please let us know when you get the new one and try it out again! icon_biggrin.gif

jessdcox Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:37am
post #73 of 91

I will do that, thanks for trying to help. Sometimes things like this happen. icon_smile.gif

jessdcox Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:59am
post #74 of 91

I said I would come back and write once I got my new Cricut cake cutter, and here I am! I would have to say now that you should purchase one because its awesome meaning this one does work and i'm sooo happy with it . Not gonna do any fondant or gumpaste cutting quite yet, instead I have a few people asking me for sugar cookies so thats what I'm gonna make. Happy cutting everyone!!!! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:15am
post #75 of 91

I've had the best luck cutting frosting sheets from icing images. They now have them in colors and much less expensive then Wilton. I print designs on the white sheets with an edible image printer, trim the sides a little so i can tape the backing to the mat to hold it in place and it works beautifully. I've tried other brands of frosting sheets but they come lose from the backing and slide around and wont cut clean. So much easier then messing with gumpase or fondant.

Iluvmysolja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iluvmysolja Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:12am
post #76 of 91

I bought a circuit cake a couple months back on eBay as a bundle, let me tell you BEST decision I ever made! I use it for my fondant/gum paste and paper icon_smile.gif I make sure to clean it every time but I'm now up to 9 cartridges and I have my fairy cut software so I can make my own images or use ones from google

bellaloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaloco Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:20am
post #77 of 91

I got one last year for my bday. The first time I used it, I thought I had made a huge mistake by purchasing it, but I have changed my mind. I really need to get it out and play around with it some more.
These are some of the things I have found work for me...
I use wilton brand fondant, mixed with a tiny bit of gumpaste, which helps me be able to roll it out much thinner than plain fondant. It needs to be thin...like almost flower petal thin. After I roll it on to the mat and trim the edges, I wait about 5 minutes for it to get a litte hard. for me, this helps so it doesn't get stuck to the blade. Also, grease your mat before rolling, or your fondant will stick to the mat when you try to remove your cut pieces.

bellaloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaloco Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:21am
post #78 of 91

I got one last year for my bday. The first time I used it, I thought I had made a huge mistake by purchasing it, but I have changed my mind. I really need to get it out and play around with it some more.
These are some of the things I have found work for me...
I use wilton brand fondant, mixed with a tiny bit of gumpaste, which helps me be able to roll it out much thinner than plain fondant. It needs to be thin...like almost flower petal thin. After I roll it on to the mat and trim the edges, I wait about 5 minutes for it to get a litte hard. for me, this helps so it doesn't get stuck to the blade. Also, grease your mat before rolling, or your fondant will stick to the mat when you try to remove your cut pieces.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:27pm
post #79 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmysolja

I bought a circuit cake a couple months back on eBay as a bundle, let me tell you BEST decision I ever made! I use it for my fondant/gum paste and paper icon_smile.gif I make sure to clean it every time but I'm now up to 9 cartridges and I have my fairy cut software so I can make my own images or use ones from google

What is the fairy cut software?

Iluvmysolja Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:29pm
post #80 of 91

The fairycut software was something you could purchase and was compatable with all the cricut machines so you could take ANY image or font from your computer and cut it on your cricut. There was 3 that I had found but cricut had sued all 3 so they couldn't use them with any cricut machines, I wasn't able to get any but the fairycut but they have updated their software as of June 13th so the new version isn't compatable with cricut. I have been able to post on criagslist and find copies of "sure cut" which was the best software out for it.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:45pm
post #81 of 91

I LOVE my Cricut cake cutter. It's been a dream. I did have trouble getting the fondant to cut without it tearing, I live in SC and it's very humid here. I am one of the ones that freezes the fondant on the mat and it cuts perfectly. I can even remove the fondant off the mat immediately and let it dry or put it directly on the cake. I did get Wilton fondant to cut perfectly without freezing it. It's a dryer fondant and works great for cutting with the small Cricut blade.

Karen421 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:33pm
post #82 of 91

I can tell you that, the more you use it - the easier it is to use!! I absolutely love mine and can cut most anything with it now! icon_biggrin.gif

jessdcox Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm
post #83 of 91

icon_sad.gif Well I tried to make sugar cookies with it, with the recipe given by the Circut website but every time it cut, it would give jagged edges, so then i thought maybe refrigerate the dough but no that didn't work either, so maybe next time i'll freeze the mat and dough together. Or maybe find a new recipe icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:09pm
post #84 of 91

I just finished cutting several items- see my post in the How To section. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-727776.html Today's success makes me ready to try more. I have used it a few times since getting, but today was the best.

I can't imagine cutting cookies with it. I make decorated cookies, and there is no way to get the nice thick ones with the cricut. Moravian sugar cookies, maybe! I have been thinking about using the machine to cut a template for cutting the dough, then cutting the fondant covering with the machine. Just need time![/url]

DianeD72570 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeD72570 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:17am
post #85 of 91

I am looking to find the best price for the Cricut cake machine. Any answers? Also does any one have one to sell?

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:34am
post #86 of 91

I bought mine 2 weeks ago at Big Lots it's not the mini but the large one for $140 thumbs_up.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:55am
post #87 of 91

I wanted to buy a cricut, but then I found out that the make-the-cut software was going to be outdated for the cricut and you couldn't use it. I was planning on buying the silhoutte, but just haven't had the money yet. But this other software sounds interesting. Maybe I will consider it after all. I could probably come up with $140 easier than the orginal price of either. Gotta go to bed folks so see ya later.

Iluvmysolja Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:01am
post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeD72570

I am looking to find the best price for the cake machine. Any answers? Also does any one have one to sell?

I got mine on eBay for $140 with the cake basics and elegant cakes, I've ordered several since then!

Karen421 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:20pm
post #89 of 91
Quote:

Quote:

I am looking to find the best price for the cake machine. Any answers? Also does any one have one to sell?

I got mine on eBay for $140 with the cake basics and elegant cakes, I've ordered several since then!

I like eBay also! icon_biggrin.gif You can get some really good deals on brand new equipment, and I also buy all my cartridges on there.

Iluvmysolja Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:05pm
post #90 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Quote:

Quote:

I like eBay also! icon_biggrin.gif You can get some really good deals on brand new equipment, and I also buy all my cartridges on there.

I get most of mine on amazon, none have cost more then $28 and free 2 day shipping FYI for anyone who doesn't know if you sign up for amazon mom you get free amazon prime for 3 months and every like $30 you spend in the baby section you get 3 more months of prime icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%