I Grew A Spine And Started Saying "no" But Still N

Decorating By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 1:54am by jenscreativity

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 6

I'm just wondering if there are any tricks you have found that help you balance everything that goes on in your life. I have family, church, friends, a 40-hour job, my precious dog, laundry, grocery shopping, bills to pay, etc, etc, etc!! And then there is caking. I am having trouble balancing it all out and keeping my priorities straight!! I've started just accepting 1 or 2 cakes per week. It is really hard to say NO but I am mastering it. I don't want to go crazy. Are there any tips you can give me that might help me keep everything in balance or do things in a way that saves time?? I'm trying to bake cakes ahead and freeze them and make frosting ahead. I've made a calendar with all the cakes on it. I usually shop for ingredients ahead of time (and always seem to forget the most important item, even if it's on my list). What else can I do?!

5 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

From someone who has been there, don't let yourself get burned out. Just accept the cakes that you really want to do, either because of the design or who it is for. Don't be afraid to say no and take some time off occasionally.

This is coming from someone who is working about 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, but I just opened my business a year ago and trying to grow. Even then, I have to turn cakes down when I get booked up.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 6

Well, if you are actually getting paid then you're one step ahead of me! I don't turn cakes down and I foot the entire bill. On top of that I work 40 hrs+, have 3 kids, including a 1 yr old and all the other things that go with life. I'll be awaiting an answer too. Maybe someday I'll find my backbone! You must do great work that people want so many icon_smile.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

LOL, it is not that I do so many, it's just that it takes me so long to finish ONE on top of everything else that is going on!

Isacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isacake Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:45am
post #5 of 6

I am in your exact situation. I have a full time job, two kids, a great dane and all the chores that a house and family brings. I have just started to do cake and the way I keep a good and healthy balance is doing cake out of passion, nothing else. For me, doing gumpaste flowers after the kids are in bed is more rewarding mentally then sitting in front of the tv. If a project inspire me, I put me heart and soul into it and those hours spent in my kitchen till late are my way of releasing some pressure and express my creativity. Passion in the only way to keep the balance for me! If a project dont passion you, don't do it, period! Hope that help!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 6

I agree with isacake..do it out of passion vs a job. I once started feeling like it was a job I was going crazy..then realized,,I''m burning myself out!! So, now,,on any free time,,I sit and take my time on my designed work vs watching tv or whatever else that doesn't really enthuse me as much..PASSION is the key!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%