Converting Dark Chocolate Cake To White Chocolate?

Baking By Sweet_Toof Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 12:05pm by LindaF144a

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #1 of 6

I've got a great chocolate cake that I really love which has some instant coffee and dark chocolate pieces, along with the rest - cocoa etc.
But I was wondering if there was a way for me to keep this recipe as a base but convert it to a white chocolate cake?

5 replies
MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:17am
post #2 of 6

I was just wondering the same thing today. I'm hoping someone has an answer.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:28am
post #3 of 6

My opinion is that you search online with white chocolate cake recipes from the Net and find one that is similar to what you have.

My reason is that the fat and sugar contents are way different between white and dark chocolate, and experimenting with altering a recipe by too many ingredients can often cause it to not work for you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:36am
post #4 of 6

Only one way to find out...........

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 8:06am
post #5 of 6

Well I'm wondering what the substitute would be for coffee and cocoa..

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

My opinion is that you search online with white chocolate cake recipes from the Net and find one that is similar to what you have.

My reason is that the fat and sugar contents are way different between white and dark chocolate, and experimenting with altering a recipe by too many ingredients can often cause it to not work for you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yep, and there is the thing where you need to adjust your flour. When a recipe is done correctly (and I say correctly because there are a lot of recipes where this is not done), the flour is decreased by the amount of cocoa added to the recipe as cocoa acts like a flour in the batter.

If you are using melted chocolate, you have other things to think about. If it is unsweetened chocolate, then the sugar is okay. But if the recipe calls for semi-sweet or milk chocolate then that is another whole thing to change. (That is why you can interchange this kind of chocolate in a recipe). Even in brands of cocoa and melted chocolate the fat content varies.

That is why we can all get different tasting cakes depending on what was used as a brand. I sooooo wish sometimes that when a recipe is given in a book or magazine or whereever, they state the exact brands used and not just with the chocolate. But then this comes across as an endorsement.

Cocoa powder does have fat in it, it is just not as much as melted chocolate. And like I said it acts differently in a recipe than melted chocolate. It is not always a cut and dry thing like add this and take away that.

Then there is the whole leavening thing. Baking soda may be added to work with the acidity in the cocoa and you may or may not need it in a white chocolate cake, depending on the other ingredients. That is why you see a lot of recipes (mainly chocolate) that have both added. And often times they are over leavened too.

Lots to think about. I would try another recipe first. The Cake Bible has a white chocolate recipe in her book. And you do not have to use the two stage method of mixing if you don't want to. I use the creaming method all the time with her recipes.

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%