My Rkt Sculpture Is Collapsing!

Decorating By sweetpea425 Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 3:33am by madgeowens

sweetpea425 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea425 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a witch sculpture for a cake this weekend and her arms and body keep collapsing! I have used dowel rods as support inside but this is not working. This is my first sculpture. Any ideas? icon_cry.gif

9 replies
Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 10

You might not be compressing the mixture enough. RTK is sensitive to humidity as well. I had the same trouble with a teddy bear and I used toothpicks going in different directions and added some royal icing for glue. After the fondant was added it held up for the event. However I warned the servers about the toothpicks because they can be hard to spot and dangerous. I hope this helps and your piece turns out OK.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 10

Did you make or buy the treats? If you make them, leave out the butter. You can also add less marshmallow to stiffen it up.

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 10

The last time I used RKT, I mixed in some melted chocolate (I used Wilton's candy melts, but I'm sure you could use other kinds). It worked GREAT! I had to play around a little with the amount of chocolate--at first I added too much and it was just a goopy mess, so I added more rice krispies and it was fine. It's a technique I read about on this site, so you might even be able to find more info on how much to add if you do a search. Good luck!

sweetpea425 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 10

Awesome! Thanks! It is very humid here, I live in Louisiana so that probably has alot to do with it!

sweetpea425 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 10

I made the RKT myself. I'll try leaving out the butter and adding some melted choc. Thanks for the help!

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:08am
post #7 of 10

i make the regular recipe (with butter) RKT, i sculpted a dragon (in my pics) i had trouble with the neck falling off, i placed one large dowel though the length then covered with RKT and glued it to the body using chocolate melts. i also used the candy melts to cover the whole RKT sculpture before covering in fondant. i found that it dried faster and harder than RI and was easier to scrape off any excess. hth

sweetpea425 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #8 of 10

Great idea! Thanks! I'm going to try again tomorrow. Hoping it works this time!

sweetpea425 Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:10am
post #9 of 10

Ok, I started over today and made the RKT and added candy melts. I sculpted the witch again and so far so good! I am letting her harden overnight before I cover her but the RKT have set up hard this time so I think it's gonna work! YAY!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 3:33am
post #10 of 10

when my rkt is too wet I just add more cereal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%