Cake Dummies And Buttercream

Decorating By GeminiCake Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 1:39pm by Kitagrl

GeminiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiCake Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 8

I just received my cake dummies and would like to get started working with them. I want to create designs in both buttercream and fondant for my portfolio. Can I use buttercream to decorate, if I will be removing after my picture is taken? Do I cover with plastic wrap in order to preserve the dummie for future use?

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, you can use BC. Plastic wrap isn't necessary... you can wash off the dummy with soap and water, then let it air dry for reuse.

GeminiCake Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks! Great to know.

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, very good to know! I want to order some cake dummies to practice on - where is a good source, and how many times can you reuse them?

GeminiCake Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 8

I ordered mine from the foam studio

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearpamela

Yes, very good to know! I want to order some cake dummies to practice on - where is a good source, and how many times can you reuse them?

I like Chef Rubber.
You can reuse them as many times as you like! If they get banged up or dented, it doesn't matter because you'll be building it up with BC or shortening.

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 8

Fantastic! I will google those and see what I can find icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 8

Just a note...I highly recommend either making, or buying, a pronged insert for your turntable for doing dummies...it helps SO MUCH to hold it steady while you ice, and especially if covering in fondant. For me, its almost impossible to ice a dummy unless its secured to something.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%