Which Stand Mixer Would You Recomend?

Decorating By dmq1298 Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm by costumeczar

dmq1298 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmq1298 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I have a small cake business and mainly make cakes and such, but during the summer we make a LOT of sweet dough for a "cake" that is very popular in our area. I am looking to buy a new stand mixer, seeing that I burned up my old Kitchen Aid. I am looking for about a 6-7qt, and thinking in the range of $300-$400. If anyone could give their feedback I would greatly appreciate it (especially those who make a lot of cookies, or bread that would put extra strain on the mixer)
Thanks

PS I have been thinking about the Cuisinart SM-70

8 replies
deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmq1298

PS I have been thinking about the Cuisinart SM-70

You can't go wrong with the Cuisinart. It's a powerhouse. I have the 5.5 qt and love it. It handles fondant like nobody's business.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 9

That is so good to know! I had a Sunbeam stand mixer, and that died on me, so I've been having to use my hand mixer for everything (can you talk about some arm work!). I used to make my own fondant, but since i don't have the heavy duty mixer anymore, I've just been using the wilton fondant. I've been dying for a KitchenAid but they aren't easily available here in Cayman. I saw a Cuisinart 5.5 quart stand mixer at one of the department stores locally, so I was wondering if that would be a good mixer to invest in. Thanks so much for asking this question dmq1298, and for your input Deah!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 9

Cuisinart SM-70. I've had it for 3 years now. Has worked flawlessly. Very powerful.

I got my sister the 5.5qt and she's very happy with it. I'm getting another 5.5 qt this week to leave at another place as a backup.

Video here, advance to 4:52. Review from Cooks Illustrated.
http://bostoncp.http.internapcdn.net/bostoncp/podcasts/20080915_fluffy_yellow_cake_hi.m4v

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 9

I have all Kitchen Aid mixers (3). One is 15 years old and actually my favorite one. The only other brand I know enough about is Hobart for commercial sized mixers. Looking at getting one of the counter models soon.

dmq1298 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmq1298 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 9

cakesdivine...I used to have a 20qt Hobart and LOVED it! But right now I need a mixer and don't have the $1200 for one. But it is money well invested

Thanks for your feedback, I think the Cuisinart has won, and just an fyi it is on Amazon for $349 with free shipping and free food processor attachment till tomorrow!

thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 9

I've always had KitchenAids..My 10 yr old one is still going strong!!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 9

I bought a 7 qt Viking a year ago and it works great!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 9

I have three 6-qt Kitchenaids and the 7 qt cuisinart, and for bready doughs I'd say the Cuisinart would be better. I don't like the shape of the bowl as much, but the motor is better for bread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%