Please Explain The Cake Boss Program Revenue

Business By PrivateNameHere Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm by PrivateNameHere

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:42am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
I got Cake Boss a few months back and I'm trying to see how much money I've taken in and for some reason I'm having trouble. I'm very very small time right now. Can someone please explain to me how CB comes up with the numbers for Order Total and Revenue? I get the cost and profit part (they make sense when I figure it out manually) but the order total is much higher than I have and Revenue, well, I just don't understand at all.
Thanks!

6 replies
SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:32am
post #2 of 7

Hi there. Im not an expert or anything. However, I just purchased Cake Boss about a week ago, and Ive been playing around a lot with it, so maybe I can help a little. And if I miss anything, maybe the Cake Boss people will chime in later in the day. Lol.

As for the order total, when you click on the pricing calculator, you choose the recipes that you will use for that particular order. So, if you are making a chocolate cake with buttercream, you would choose those recipes. Also, you choose the quantity of the recipes you used. I just made some mini-cupcakes, and I learned that you can use either whole numbers (for one whole recipe) or you can also use fractions (so if you only used a half a recipe). Cake Boss does the math for the costs of your recipes. So if you only used half a recipe, and the whole recipe costs $5, then Cake Boss will figure the cost is $2.50. Also, there is a tab for your materials, which you pretty much do the same thing. The only difference is in the materials, you can do the markup. So if a cake board costs you .02, you can charge the customer .05. Also within that same window, you would choose what your overhead is for things like electricity and such. Also, you add in how many hours it took you to complete the order. Cake Boss multiplies the hours by your hourly wage (you can do that in preferences). You also choose the tax rate in preferences, and delivery charge, rental charge and discounts in the financial tab on the order.

So to make a long story longer (lol sorry), here is the breakdown. (I think I have everything. Lol. Sorry been up all night doing homework)

Order Total=

Costs of Ingredients (recipes) +
Cost of materials (or markup price) +
Overhead +
(Hourly wage x # of hours) +
Tax +
Rental Fee +
Delivery Fee
Discounts

As for revenue, that is the amount of money your business has received from operations, before any expenses are taken out. So, for instance, if you have five customers who had $100 orders, your revenue would be $500. Your net income would be your revenue minus your expenses.

Sorry this is so long. I hope I helped a little. Congrats on your new software! Im not quite up and running yet, but I already love it! Its really super easy once you start learning how to do it.

Good luck!

Sarah

PrivateNameHere Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply!
I have been using the software for a while now, and I get the whole putting in ingredients, how much of what recipe or materials, etc. Isn't it great! The first two weeks I had it I just stared at the screen marveling at what I had! LOL
The issue is that that for example, it says for the month of October I have:
Orders: 7
Order Total: 343.92
Revenue: 187.00
Expenses: 133.83
Profit: 98.17

This is on the Dashboard screen. I don't know where they came up with the revenue number, as I have brought in 232.00 total. I would think that would be the revenue number. I do cakes mostly for family and friends. In the order total, is that every cake, even the ones I have "gifted"? It counts in the discounts as part of the order total? Where oh where does this revenue number come from, since I have received overall for this month $45 more than is listed?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateNameHere

Thanks for the reply!
I have been using the software for a while now, and I get the whole putting in ingredients, how much of what recipe or materials, etc. Isn't it great! The first two weeks I had it I just stared at the screen marveling at what I had! LOL

This is on the Dashboard screen. I don't know where they came up with the revenue number, as I have brought in 232.00 total. I would think that would be the revenue number. I do cakes mostly for family and friends. In the order total, is that every cake, even the ones I have "gifted"? It counts in the discounts as part of the order total? Where oh where does this revenue number come from, since I have received overall for this month $45 more than is listed?

Have you rented out equipment (stands etc), or charged for delivery? If so, that isn't counted towards the 'profit' as it is an expense. HTH.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateNameHere

Thanks for the reply!

Is it possible that a payment was received in a different month? The dashboard shows only your activity this month to date. It is just a snapshot of where you are for the month. For detailed reports I would suggest running an actual report from the Reports screen.

If you continue to have questions, I would be happy to help you by email.

Kelley icon_smile.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 7

Did you forget to input an order?

Remeber that the info on the bottom of the Dashboard screen is for October only. If you sold Aunt Sally a cake that is to be delivered in October but she paid you in September that will affect what the numbers say.

PrivateNameHere Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 7

Ah. That makes much more sense now! Yes, there were payments in September for cakes due in October. Thank you ladies! I am not so much scratching my head anymore!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%