Cost Of Store Bought Sheet Cakes

Decorating By smbegg Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 1:07am by julesh268

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 10

How much does Sam's/Costco sell a sheet cake for these days? They are closed and I need to know the average cost. I have never bought one before (nor plan to) but want to get an idea. I am near Dallas, Tx.

Thanks
Stephanie

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 10

In MN, a "half sheet" (serves 36-48 ) is $19.87. A "full sheet" (serves 72-96) is $34.87.

EDIT: sorry, this is for Sam's Club. forgot to specify that.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:38am
post #3 of 10

Keep in mind that these prices are for loss leaders, so they don't expect to make anything on those cakes. They use them to lure you into the bakery, where they hope that you'll buy more stuff while you're hanging around smelling the bread.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 10

Same price for Costco as the Sam's price.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 10

My local grocery store's bakery allows me to buy cakes. 1/2 sheet is $16.49 even though they told me on the phone that it was $21.49, so I bought one choc. and one yellow. It saved me so much time, and they were really good!

oakleygirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oakleygirl77 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 10

I shop at Sam's and live in Fort Worth and if you go back to the bakery and ask them, they will sell you a box of 4 frozen 1/2 sheet cakes (chocolate or vanilla only) and it only cost me $18.00. They are individually packaged and pretty level. It really saved me a lot of time baking and freezing my own. And seriously it averages less than $5.00 a cake. I can't even make my own that cheap!! If you are a die hard fan of "from scratch" this won't work...but it's great for neighbors, family and friends.
If you buy one of theirs already decorated it costs around $19-$22.
Hope this helps.

tj3239 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tj3239 Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 10

In Tyler, TX Sam's Club 1/2 sheet is $19.87. HTH!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleygirl77

I shop at Sam's and live in Fort Worth and if you go back to the bakery and ask them, they will sell you a box of 4 frozen 1/2 sheet cakes (chocolate or vanilla only) and it only cost me $18.00. They are individually packaged and pretty level. It really saved me a lot of time baking and freezing my own. And seriously it averages less than $5.00 a cake. I can't even make my own that cheap!! If you are a die hard fan of "from scratch" this won't work...but it's great for neighbors, family and friends.
Hope this helps.

That's unbelieveable! I've GOT to check out Sam's!

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 10

WOW! icon_surprised.gif I'm so glad you told me. I just called my Sam's Club in PA, and yes, theirs is also $18.48 for a 'case' of 4 Half sheet cakes! Woo hoo!
icon_biggrin.gif

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 1:07am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleygirl77

Hope this helps.

That's unbelieveable! I've GOT to check out Sam's!

So cool! I never thought of asking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%