Question: Do Sprinkles Go Bad?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 3:15am by cheatize

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 7

I'm in the process of moving (to Columbus, OH) and I'm trying to pack up all of my cake stuff (good ideas for packing welcome!)

Anyway, I'm wondering if some of my ingredients are still good - you know, those ingredients that don't have a date on them. Such as sprinkles.... do sprinkles go bad? Do you need to throw them out? When?

And cocoa powder - does that go bad? Or chocolate? I know chocolate can bloom so it gets white spots, but I think it's still good for eating, right?

Hope some of you know because I have no idea! icon_smile.gif I'm just a hobby baker, so I don't get to bake as often as I would like and have some ingredients I haven't used up yet. Certainly don't want to keep them around if they are bad!

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

do sprinkles go bad?

According to the web site of one manufacturer;
Shelf life: 24 months
Storage Requirements: Store in a cool, dry area

(of course, I've eaten sprinkles that were way beyond a 2-year shelf life!)

I'm sure you could find Product Specifications online from the manufacturer of your specific product, if you wanted to research it further. (to me... if it smells good, looks good, and tastes good, I'll eat it.)

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe I'll throw out the super old ones..... but I can't seem to find anything on Wilton's site for their sprinkles... can anyone else?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

can anyone else?

I didn't look for it on the Wilton site, but it's sugar (with maybe cornstarch, oil, glaze, and sealed in a carnauba wax coating) which acts as a preservative itself. I don't see what there is to go bad... perhaps that's why there isn't an expiration date on the label in the first place.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 11:53am
post #5 of 7

For sprinkles I've seen when they've started to "bloom" like chocolate does, the coating gets pale and splotchy. Would throw those out but otherwise they should be okay.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 7

For sprinkles I think if they are stored properly (cool, dry place, in airtight container which I prefer to be dark to prevent color change) they have indefinite shelf life.

For cocoa powder is the same as sprinkles. (beside the color change)

For chocolate, when you see the white bloom on it, it does not mean it is rotten, but it means the cocoa butter seperation which happens a lot if you keep chocolate in refrigarator or freezer. You can still eat it, but it is not pleasant any more, and since I am a chocolate lover I want the true taste and feel of chocolate in my mouth (it has to be worth of having the extra calorie).
I personally do not eat the bloomed chocolate.
I think you can still use it for baking.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 3:15am
post #7 of 7

For me, I've noticed the color starts to change a little. I always taste test them to make sure mine are okay.

Now, c'mon! Get yer behind here. We're waiting for you! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%