Does Duff's Fondant Ever Dry And Get Hard?!

Decorating By Tink1016 Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 8:51pm by kristanashley

Tink1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tink1016 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 9

I bought some of Duff's red and black fondant (with a 50% coupon of course), cut out my shapes, (minnie ears for a cake, and Elmo for another cake), added a bit of gumpaste to it, and left it out for 24 hours. Usually when I work with other fondant's, it's hard and dry in that amount of time but this one was still soft!

Is there something that I was doing wrong? Should I be adding more gumpaste? Anyone else deal with this?

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 9

i dont think it does.... sure i have read this in other posts, something to do with being chocolate based... not 100% sure though!
xx

mystique122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystique122 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 9

i've made fondant as well as marzipan and in both the cases i've noticed that it becomes crumbly...no matter hwo much i knead them..
can anyone tell me how to deal with the marzipan specially if it's get broked half way through while using the rolling pin?

PS: i donot get shortening in my country but i do get its substitute(for fondant)

thanks
kindly reply asap!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1016

I bought some of Duff's red and black fondant (with a 50% coupon of course), cut out my shapes, (minnie ears for a cake, and Elmo for another cake), added a bit of gumpaste to it, and left it out for 24 hours. Usually when I work with other fondant's, it's hard and dry in that amount of time but this one was still soft!

Is there something that I was doing wrong? Should I be adding more gumpaste? Anyone else deal with this?

No, you didn't do anything wrong. It doesn't get hard the way regular fondant does, even adding gum paste or gums to it. I've had pieces remain flexible for over a week (in my case I was happy about this).

It has a HUGE amount of fat in it, compared to regular fondant, so as you might expect, it remains soft for a long time. It'll harden up if it's really cold..........but that's still not "dry".

Rae

Tink1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tink1016 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much Rae! I wish I would have known that before I bought it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 9

Hmmmmm.......I used Duff's black fondant on the black and white cake board and on the ribbon edges in my photos. It dried hard. I did have it sit out a week waiting for my next class, so that may be why.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 9

If it ever dries, I've yet to see it. I only use premade gum paste for that reason alone. I learned making red stripes for a 4th of July cake that Duff's fondant would be good for covering cakes...not cutting out decor. Took me forever to be able to apply the stripes without it stretching out of shape!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 9

Like I said it dried for me. See my black and white cake in the photos section.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 9

I just used the black, but it hardened fine for me. I even made a loop bow out of it, without adding anything to it. I used it on the blue/ zebra showeer cake and the corsette cake in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%