Now I Understand.. Tasting Is Believing.

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 2:07pm by sweetmonkeycheese

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:12am
post #1 of 24

I tried a new BC recipe and yep.. I could taste the crisco.. umm not a fan.

23 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 24

I would never use Crisco in a bc frosting. I really do believe that it can be done successfully, as Indydeb swears by it, so I know it's possible. However, every rotten store cake I've had with that crappy frosting reminds me of Crisco. And I remember being at a party where there was a beautiful cake with lovely decorations. The frosting tasted so horrible - like someone just added some sugar to the Crisco, that no one could eat it. Yuk!!

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 24

I never tried Indydebi's buttercream frosting...but I have used the SMBC and love it to death. I grew up having butter icing, so I never like the very sweet taste of boiled icings... In any case, I attended a wedding 2 yrs ago, cake looked so nice until I tasted it... Crisco buttercream YUK! I didn't eat the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 24

Believe it or not, folks, *I* understand! I made an icing once that had a higher fat/sugar ratio (about twice as much crisco as I use in my icing) and I gagged all over the place on that. All I could taste was the crisco. So i believe it totally depends on the recipe (and each person's personal taste preference, of course!). But I tell the story that if that had been my first and only exposure to a crisco-based icing, then *I* wouldn't be serving any crisco based icings either! icon_lol.gif

That's why when i read of recipes that use a 1cup to 1lb of fat/sugar, I just sit here and shudder.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:47am
post #5 of 24

I really want crusting BC though. I have only made frosting 2x now and the 1st one was a cream cheese crusting BC and I loved it!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:51am
post #6 of 24

Hey, to each his own.

Who really cares, anyway, as long as the people eating the cake are happy?

When I've eaten meringue buttercream, all I taste is butter......greasy butter....and I don't like it. It was a meringue buttercream made by Wendy Kromer, no less, star baker to Martha Stewart..............

First time my DH & DS had it, they asked me why I "buttered" the cake rather than iced it.............

I've been asked several times for my buttercream recipe by people who were certain that it was a meringue buttercream..........NOT! It IS, for all intents and purposes, Indydebi's recipe with a few minor differences...........

Rae

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:58am
post #7 of 24

I use half Crisco and half Amish butter. Nothing but Amish butter thumbs_up.gif in my house. Everyone says my bc is to die for. (the butter I get tastes like pudding....YUM) I quit using grocery store butter several years ago. Even my mashed potatoes are better....I digress....sorry. icon_rolleyes.gif I also use heavy cream after the powdered sugar and flavorings, usually vanilla and almond. I also use Mexican vanilla. It has a very distinctive taste to it too. I beat the icing for a couple minutes after adding the cream and it makes it soooo light & fluffy yet very easy to spread and I get a very smooth finish. I have used all butter but it makes it too yellow. The Amish butter I get is very light in color. I think there are no additives in it.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:00am
post #8 of 24

indy, I have your saved I do plan on trying it one day. I'll have to study the one i tried today w/ yours and see what the difference is. It would be kinda nice to understand the ingredient and not just read a recipe. I thought about deleting todays from the box, but I am gonna keep it to compare other against

my mom did not hate it, everyone ate it, but I feel like it over powered the cake and did not complement it.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:12am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeBabe

I use half Crisco and half Amish butter. Nothing but Amish butter thumbs_up.gif in my house. Everyone says my bc is to die for. (the butter I get tastes like pudding....YUM) I quit using grocery store butter several years ago. Even my mashed potatoes are better....I digress....sorry. icon_rolleyes.gif I also use heavy cream after the powdered sugar and flavorings, usually vanilla and almond. I also use Mexican vanilla. It has a very distinctive taste to it too. I beat the icing for a couple minutes after adding the cream and it makes it soooo light & fluffy yet very easy to spread and I get a very smooth finish. I have used all butter but it makes it too yellow. The Amish butter I get is very light in color. I think there are no additives in it.

oh my that sounds heavenly! I think I have Irish butter at my local Trader Joes, but haven't seen Amish butter lol. Where in the US are you?

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeBabe

oh my that sounds heavenly! I think I have Irish butter at my local Trader Joes, but haven't seen Amish butter lol. Where in the US are you?

I live in southwest Ohio. There is a farm near me that sells the butter in the summer. I buy LOTS and put it in the freezer for the winter. It comes in 2 lb. rolls. No sticks. I take some of the rolls and cut them in half and re-wrap them. I wrap all of them in a couple layers of plastic wrap. They keep beautifully. I have about 30 lbs of butter in the freezer this year. icon_eek.gif Sounds like a lot but we use it every day and I bake about 2000 cookies every Christmas, and I use it for icing too. By the way it IS NOT cheap. I pay almost $8. for a 2 lb. roll.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:28am
post #11 of 24

oh wow! that's so cool for you. obviously the price is worth it for you, huh? wish I could try some of your goodies
=)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:06am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

I tried a new BC recipe and yep.. I could taste the crisco.. umm not a fan.

Not all recipes are created equal. (And we don't all share the same taste preferences.) icon_lol.gif

Just as there are "better" Italian or Swiss meringue based b/c recipes, so there are "better" shortening based American b/c recipes. icon_smile.gif

But if you don't like either of those types of frosting - there are still other kinds to try (including fondant):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6fIYCbzXz4UJ:www.joyofbaking.com/Frosting.html+list+the+different+types+of+icing&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

And there's a fan for every type - so it's all good! thumbs_up.gif

Discussing some of the buttercreams:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6011626-.html

HTH

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:15am
post #13 of 24

I find that if I use a stick of butter to a cup of crisco it is great, and it crusts....I use almond and vanilla flavorings.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:54am
post #14 of 24

Only butter for me! Can't stand crisco.

I have to say though that a lot of meringue buttercreams have too much of a good thing in them...I've tweaked my IMBC recipe to make it not so heavy on the butter.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:22am
post #15 of 24

I use Land O Lakes butter only with the crisco.......it is delish

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:37pm
post #16 of 24

I use hi-ratio shortning, and I have several clients that order extra bowls of my icing whenever they order a cake, they love it that much.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #17 of 24

I only use Alpine. I just never tried Sweetex, so it may be just as good. No butter at all. Too expensive and I like my meringue based Alpine non-crusting bc.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #18 of 24

I always used 1/2 butter and half Crisco for the same reason, I hated the Crisco taste. But now I only use Indydebi's recipe. Thanks to Mamawrobin - who suggested to beat the Crisco for a good 15 minutes before adding anything. What a huge difference it makes!!! I can't taste the Crisco, it is creamy, and everyone that tastes it - Loves it!!!! (I also warm the milk and and the dreamwhip to that) thumbs_up.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:11pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

That's why when i read of recipes that use a 1cup to 1lb of fat/sugar, I just sit here and shudder.

But it depends on the shortening! Made with Crisco, the above ratio would be gross...made with high ratio, it's fabulous. The "mouth feel" of high ratio is completely different from ordinary shortening. I use the Sugar Shack recipe and people love it--smooth and creamy. But one time I was out of high ratio and used the other stuff, and you're right.......yuck!

I can't really use the meringue recipes very often, because I don't have the refrigerator space to store large cakes. They are delicious, though, and I always have fun making meringue icings!!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #20 of 24

I use Spectrum instead of Crisco when I make a shortening based recipe, which is not often.
I have used this with both Indydeb's and the Whimsical Bakehouse house BC and both time they went over very well.

It is a matter of taste.....and humidity. There are just times when you need stability.

And I'm with LeahS. Her recipe sounds like what we use in the bakery I work at and people rave over our BC, only we mix in butter also. It is very good, but I may be a bit prejudice.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:42pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But it depends on the shortening! Made with Crisco, the above ratio would be gross...made with high ratio, it's fabulous. The "mouth feel" of high ratio is completely different from ordinary shortening.

Thanks for that info! I've not used hi-ratio so I wasn't aware of the that diff! thumbs_up.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:30pm
post #22 of 24

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've never used a recipe for BC. I start with mass quantities of butter, beat it to death, add a little bit of shortening until it looks right, add 10x and flavorings and keep monkeying with it til it tastes right. And for some reason, it's always perfect and delicious. I don't want to use a recipe now, because I might jinx my streak!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I use Land O Lakes butter only with the crisco.......it is delish

Ditto that! It is VERY true that not all recipes are created equal...and even if they were, sometimes the difference is in their preparation! I use Land O Lakes only combined with Crisco and my buttercream leaves no "film" or bakery icing feel to the mouth! It simply melts in your mouth! I have tried high-ratio (Alpine) out of curiosity and I hated the texture of the icing...made it taste/feel exactly like bakery icing! LOVE IMBC/SMBC, but my market does not prefer them....so to each their own!

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:07pm
post #24 of 24

Funny that I see a few ppl say land'0Lakes, I'll try that next time I make a recipe. I don't think I am the type to not want to try crisco type recipes, this one was just too much (and it also had a butter and crisco combo) I have several BC recipes saved slowly will be making my way through them to try them out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%