Why Did My Cake Crack?

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 2:08pm by sweetmonkeycheese

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:09am
post #1 of 7

It cracked at the top while still in the pan and then I rushed to take it out of the pan ( you are supposed to wait and let it cool a lil right?) and part of the sides were cracked just like the top and rushing it made it worse.

what is a science of cake, why did it crack

6 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 7

I had that problem recently, but the oven was screwing up and cooking too hot. I don't really know the science, but I've only had it happen one time and it cracked 2 of the 8 cakes I had in the oven at the time.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #3 of 7

It could have been overbaked, or your oven could have been too hot!
Overbeating batter can cause cakes to crack...
HTH! icon_smile.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:55am
post #4 of 7

i had it at 335 ( it was a box cake w/ additions and the box said 350 ) but I am just a renter and have a cheap apartment oven, would not surprise me if it was being wonky.

it was a cake that was also sticky from pineapple and coconut cream, so it was taking forever to cook and it came out sticky yet crumbly. I messed up the water/juice ratio so I threw some more flour in there and I think I added too much. It was kinda dry while also being sticky.. kinda odd (tasted good though).

maybe too much flour..

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:12am
post #5 of 7

i think all the things you just said about your cake is your problem. probably adding more flour was the culprit.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:30am
post #6 of 7

I read a tip just recently regarding 'cracking cake tops' during the baking process.. it was suggested that you lay a piece of greaseproof paper over the top of the pan during cooking. The feedback suggested this worked a treat icon_smile.gif Hope this helps!

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecupcake

I read a tip just recently regarding 'cracking cake tops' during the baking process.. it was suggested that you lay a piece of greaseproof paper over the top of the pan during cooking. The feedback suggested this worked a treat icon_smile.gif Hope this helps!

cool tip, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%