Cake For A Kidney Donor! Need Ideas!

Decorating By 3djones Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm by 3djones

3djones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3djones Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 11

One of the young ladies (with whom I work) has a brother who will be donating a kidney to a friend. She is requesting a whimsical/humorous cake to "celebrate" this occasion... WHERE do I start? (to serve 30-50 people)

10 replies
cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 11

How about one of those "Operation" game cakes, with the tweezers next to the kidney? Cute, funny, not gross icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 11

A realistic kidney
a cartoon kidney
saucy nurse - bust cake or a figure on square/ round
simple square/ round with a surgical mask, scalple etc
present cakes - 'gift of life' idea.
A bed - of cake- figure of him in it
operation - kids game

Also quite 'easy' to make the usual whimsical topsy turvey with kidneys, blood, nurse, equipment comng down the side.
Hope that helps!
xx

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 11

I absolutely love the Operation game idea.

The kidney disease awareness ribbon is a beautiful teal color.

Maybe a take on that? http://www.flickr.com/photos/25863947@N05/5054482143/
This is what came to mind, except in teal/green?

Heres a link to the color:http://www.personalizedcause.com/shop/collections/classic/detail/c_green.html

HTH & GL!

jess

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3djones

One of the young ladies (with whom I work) has a brother who will be donating a kidney to a friend. She is requesting a whimsical/humorous cake to "celebrate" this occasion... WHERE do I start? (to serve 30-50 people)

hi there, this got me thinking when I saw this post.

I saw this on the internet and it was whimsical/humourous but I guess more for a female recipient. it's on the Hello Kitty lines and you could do the cake in the shape of the image HTH

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:02am
post #6 of 11

I saw a perfect kidney cake in the galleries this last year and it was made for a kidney transplant operation...I wish I could remember who made it..but maybe you could search and put in kidney cake or transplant cake here on the cc search..if not then I would google it.. not sure! But it is the most perfect tasteful transplant cake I have seen...good luck

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 11

Maybe you could do a cartoon kidney carrying a knapsack and headed to his new home.

Good luck!!

kokopellimom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopellimom Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 11

Cricketina, is this the cake you meant?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1308890.html

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 2:08pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry, maybe it's just me, but I'm grossed out by the idea of a kidney cake :>( Maybe its because I have a friend who's donor kidney just failed after 10 months?

What comes to my mind is the word GIFT.... the most incredible gift imaginable. How about a gorgeous gift box cake, incorporating the teal color? And if you still want the comical piece, you could extend the fondant sides on the box, create a false bottom on top of the cake, and put a fondant kidney in the box (with a removable box lid). I'd brush the fondant kidney with gold dust to make it look 'precious'..... Guess I'm more romantic tha funny!

What a wonderful gesture you're making with a cake. No matter what design you do, I'm sure it will be perfect and much appreciated!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

Sorry, maybe it's just me, but I'm grossed out by the idea of a kidney cake :>( Maybe its because I have a friend who's donor kidney just failed after 10 months?

What comes to my mind is the word GIFT.... the most incredible gift imaginable. How about a gorgeous gift box cake, incorporating the teal color? And if you still want the comical piece, you could extend the fondant sides on the box, create a false bottom on top of the cake, and put a fondant kidney in the box (with a removable box lid). I'd brush the fondant kidney with gold dust to make it look 'precious'..... Guess I'm more romantic tha funny!

What a wonderful gesture you're making with a cake. No matter what design you do, I'm sure it will be perfect and much appreciated!

This sounds like a wonderful idea!!! It is a GIFT ! thumbs_up.gif

3djones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3djones Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 11

I ended up making the "Operation Game" cake, with the words "Got Kidney?" at the bottom edge. It was a hit! Thanks so much for the great ideas... now I wish I had more opportunities to make these cakes, there were some awesome design suggestions! After I figure out how to add pics, I will post the finished product!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%