At This Rate The Cake Will Be Done Next Year - Lol!

Decorating By tsal Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 1:39pm by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a Blue's Clues cake for my son's 2nd bday party next Sunday, and this is the first time I'm making appliques from templates. I'm making several different characters for one tier, as well as a house, mailbox, trees, bushes, flowers on another tier.

I started the appliques today because I've been sick all week and I've managed to complete about 3/4 of one appliqué! I know that a lot of this time is spent finding my groove and I figure once I figure out what works best for me, things will move faster. I want to have all appliques done a few days prior so I don't have to scramble (stress shows in my cakes, I swear!)

I have been using my pasta machine to roll my gum paste nice and thin and then I let it sit for a couple of minutes and then place the template over it and cut out the shape with an exacto. I'm really excited doing this because once I nail down my technique, the possibilities are endless as I won't have to rely on cutters for shapes (as I always have in the past). Although this is much more time consuming for sure!

if I can get 3 done today I'll consider it a good day!

2 replies
Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:15am
post #2 of 3

hey great idea about giving yourself plenty of time! and kudos to you for trying the appliqués! you are so brave!! i'd love to see photos-as i have yet to be brave enough to try! good luck and i hope you are feeling better!! thumbs_up.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I will definitely post pics when I'm done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%