No Matter How I Try, I Can't Kill This Cake!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 26 Oct 2010 , 4:43am by bakeawish

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 18

My little girl is turning five tomorrow, and we're having a Fancy Nancy party today. For those without small children, Fancy Nancy is actually a very cute little book character who likes all things "fancy", so she ends up overdoing everything, and putting glitter on feathers on sequins on high heels and tulle. Well, her cake is getting the same "fancy"treatment.

And you know how you're usually worried about overdoing the cake, and you don't want to kill the design by continuing to touch it when you should have stopped? Well this cake refuses to die, no matter how much sparkle and ribbon I add. LOVE IT! Working with such a flexible over-the-top design is SO liberating!!!!

Case in point: I'm currently letting a royal icing tiara continue to dry before I add it on, but if it ends up breaking or anything, I can always completely change the design of the crown and make it a solid gumpaste one, as long as I dust with excessive disco dust and apply an appropriate number of butterflies icon_wink.gif.

SO MUCH FUN!!!! I'll wait till the crown is done and then I just may have to post some pics icon_wink.gif ...

17 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 18

Sounds like my kind of cake. No Fail. Please do post pic. I'd like to see it.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 18

I LOVE FANCY NANCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter dressed up as her 2 yrs ago on book character day!!!!

can't wait to see the pics!!!!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 18

I made one for a friend a couple of years ago. I made mini cupcakes, fondant ice cream cones, lollie pops, flowers and a crown. It's in my photo's. Boy it sounds like you went all out. Your daughter will love it.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 18

Sorry she wanted Fancy Nancy and changed it to Pinkalicious. Forgot. LOL.

emiyeric Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 18

Cabecakes, the "no fail" principle really came through for me! The RI tiara snapped (just didn't have enough time to dry with all this humidity!), so I took the highlights of it and mounted them on a simple little fondant cut out of a crown and put that on Fancy Nancy's "hair" ... easy breezy icon_wink.gif. Daltonam, isn't Fancy Nancy great? So much fun! And sweettreat101, I loved your Pinkalicious cake! LOVE the uber-girly cakes!! icon_smile.gif Here's my finished product!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1844349

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 18

How fun!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 18

We love Fancy Nancy in our house! Can't wait to see your pic!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 18

CUTE!!!!

emiyeric Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks! And cakesbycathy, it's posted! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:52am
post #11 of 18

Sounds like my kind of cake! I tell people if you want someone to go theme overboard, I'm your chick!

emiyeric Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #12 of 18

LOL cheatize!! I agree!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:16am
post #13 of 18

My daughter had a Fancy Nancy party two years ago. It was so much fun. The girls all wore fancy clothes and hats. We crafted jeweled jewelry boxes and jeweled mirrors with the long victorian style handle. I tied fancy ribbons on each handle. I had just as much fun as the kids. I want my daughter to stay little!

bakeawish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeawish Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:30am
post #14 of 18

Oh I can't wait to see the pictures!

emiyeric Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:41am
post #15 of 18

Adonisthegreek1, so much fun! I bet your daughter will remember that party as happily as you!!
Bakeawish, here's the link to the picture (I'm terrible at posting things as attachments when my hubby's not around for technical support icon_confused.gif ... icon_smile.gif ) :
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1844349
This is one of the cakes with which I've had the most fun!! icon_smile.gif

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 5:07am
post #16 of 18

Could you pls tell me what an sps cake is..and what recipe are you referring to that can't be killed....lol. Thank you thumbs_up.gif

emiyeric Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:42pm
post #17 of 18

Cricketina, sps is the support system I used for the cake. There's a whole thread about (I think under the Cake Decorating forum? Leah_s is the resident expert on the subject!), instead of using dowels or straws or something along those lines. And as far as the recipe goes, I wasn't so much referring to the recipe as the decoration itself. I use the WASC and variations of the WASC, which I love and know very well by now so I pretty much never have a problem with it ... but that could just as easily be any recipe, as long as you know it well and know how to deal with things that come up with it. I just liked the fact that I could pile stuff on decoration-wise and not go wrong! icon_smile.gif

bakeawish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeawish Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 4:43am
post #18 of 18

Thanks for the link! That was a super fun cake. I bet she loved it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%