Fondant Costs

Decorating By mickey35 Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm by sweetcakes

mickey35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey35 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hello CCers, I'm a hobby baker. I use a semi mix for my vanilla cakes (haven't found a good scratch recipe) where I add vanilla extract, milk and oil however all other cakes are from scratch. How do I incorporate a 10lb or 20lb bucket of fondant into the cost of a cake? This has been the most difficult part for me. Do I record how many cakes I've made from the bucket regardless of the size of the cake? I have no idea. Any advice will be appreciated, how do you guys price your cakes?

4 replies
nannykaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannykaren Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 5

I would divide the fondant cost by the number of pounds, then multiply that cost by the number of pounds you use on the cake.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 5

There is a good chart provided by Global Sugar Arts that will help you determine how much fondant is required

http://www.globalsugarart.com/?id=24

Sometimes it is easier to roll fondant a little thicker when you're getting started, so your usage may be a little more than the chart recommends, but it will give you a starting point once you get your price per pound to figure your costs.

mickey35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey35 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you nannykaren and ibmoser. It sounds like I need to invest in a scale.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 5

im a weigher, except i dont weigh myself, LOL!! i cut off what i think i will need and weigh it and then weigh what is left after doing the cake and calculate from there. When ever i buy in bulk i make note on the package how much it costs per pound or what ever measure i use, that way i dont have to look it up each time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%