10.22.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 1:50am by Elcee

Anira72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anira72 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:22am
post #31 of 53

I'm working on my sons birthday cake. He requested a topsy turvy design. I think I will get it right this time. Hopefully my design works out. He's an avid Wizard 101 player and I'm going to decorate with his school which is fire. Between work from 7-4 and culinary school 3 nights a week I don't get much free time to play anymore but I just had to do my baby's cake. Wish me luck. Good luck to all others busy in the kitchen.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:28am
post #32 of 53

Baking cakes for a Pooh 1st Birthday Party for Sunday. So happy to see someone still likes Pooh! I'm a bit frustrated that the Pooh Gold is discontinued icon_surprised.gif so I googled my brains out to find out how to make it and here is what I found out:

Yellow with brown
Yellow with brown and a touch of red
Yellow with a touch of purple
Gold with yellow

I'm at a loss as what to do. As I've said before, I can color the page in the coloring book, but I can't draw the page to color it! I bake for joy. I wish I had an artistic bone in my body, my "play" could look so much nicer...and, I might get an answer about my Pooh Gold!

Does anyone have any thoughts?

And, do I use straight standard yellow or lemon yellow or electric yellow or gold or buttercup or or golden yellow (different than gold)......

Have a great weekend everyone! icon_smile.gif

P.S. Have on food network and I just love that catchy new song for "Throwdown". icon_lol.gif

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:59am
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Yay! I can finally come out and play with you all! Hobby decorator here so I'm not usually working on cakes on Friday nights.

I am participating in a challenge at Michael's tomorrow so I've been working on my gumpaste pieces all week and tonight got my layers trimmed, filled and crumbcoated; carved my pumpkin for the top. All my fondant and bc is tinted and everything I'll need is packed and ready to go (I hope). In the morning I just need to cover my cakes in fondant and stack them.

icon_lol.gif Wish me luck!

Ohhh, do let us know how the Cake Challange goes for you. I am an instructor for Hobby Lobby and have just a couple students in mind for one so far. It does sound like soo much fun!

lainalee Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:01am
post #34 of 53

Good Luck on the challange!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:02am
post #35 of 53

Hi. I'm one of those lurkers. (hobby baker). Tonight I threw together 7 single layer cakes. 4 for a church sale tomorrow that are baked in 99 cent store pumpkin pans with lids that will be simply decorated with BC then have the clear lid slapped on.
3 sheet cakes for my niece and nephews to create their cub scout Halloween party masterpieces.

These are the first cakes from mixes I haven't doctored or taken a lot of time to fiddle with since I started all this back in March. They look hideous!!! Even tho I know they are just like the ones I made for 30 years, I feel like throwing them away and starting over. Well, like I tell the kids, there's nothing frosting can't fix.
(I have a fabulous new recipe of frosting prepared from Kathleen Lange's website--yummy!)

lainalee Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:08am
post #36 of 53

Icing can fix a multitude of sins, lol!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:30am
post #37 of 53

Just got home from a night class and am going to my Wilton gumaste/fondant class tomorrow (finally - I've only waited since May to get this class with enough people etc). Tomorrow is my 3rd out of 4 classes so I need to start planning my final cake. I usually do some big thing but I'm going to go small I think and maybe with some daisies. I already did a really great bow. I was going to post picture but I liked it so much I sprayed it with PME lustre spray in pearl, made a wasc, put the bow on top and gave it to the guy at work for his 1st anniversary. We learn daisy and mum tomorrow plus how to do impression mat and cover a cake drum with fondant. Should be fun!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:31am
post #38 of 53

Hi Everyone...I know I've been MIA the past few weeks. Friday weddings have kept me out of town and off the boards. This week was a birthday cake for a 10 yr old "disco queen". (photo in my albums) Not that involved of a cake but the high humidity from the rain made working with MMF absolute torture. I had more issues today to almost make me swear off fondant forever. SIGH. Top that off with a malfunctioning can of silver spray that led me to have to handpaint all the tiles...UGH. Just not a good cake day but I can't complain too much...I'm still booking and this is my "slow" season. So I'm going to be grateful that I still have money coming in each week and am almost totally booked up till the New Year!

Cat

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:55am
post #39 of 53

I have 2 birthday cakes going out in the morning. One is nemo and the other is UT (University of Tennessee). I also have a wedding cake going out at noon tomorrow. Get this, It's a John Deere Wedding Cake. Not a grooms cake, but the actual wedding cake. Hoping that all comes together. Still have to put the border on the Nemo cake and then put the wedding cake together. I also have a sculpted cake to do that will be picked up Sunday after church. I am soooo ready for sleep, but the cakes will not allow it at this time. icon_biggrin.gif

vkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkat Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:32am
post #40 of 53

I am working on a Halloween baby shower cake. I also am working on a haunted house cake for a murder mystery party my hubby and I are going to on Sunday.

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:27am
post #41 of 53

I am making an apricot cheesecake that will be dressed up witha few gumpaste calla lillies. I just now started! This is for the morning, and it has to chill overnight. It will be a late one.

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:30am
post #42 of 53

hey everyone...I did a doll cake for a customer today looked great ...she picked it up and halfway home she calls me to say that it is sliding...so I go to meet her and the buttercream is all melted and things are beginning to slide...well long story short..I brought it home and by the time I got here it was a mess so I'm redoing it and delivering it to her in the morning..so my question is...it is all buttercream should I freeze it after it is decorated so that it makes it there in the morning? or should I just refridgerate it...the party is at 2:30 and I'll take it over around 10. she lives a pretty good ways from my house...oh I used indy debbie's icing.

Scotch__Mist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scotch__Mist Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:30am
post #43 of 53

Im a hobby baker too. Been doin a football them cake for my nephew will be 9 on Sunday.

It's the first time I've really planned out a cake and did work in advance. I froze my cake and it seems to have turned out great (the scraps tasted lovely and moist!). I've spent the last week making my (first) figures so they're ready to go. Cake was covered in fondant last night and finally decided on my finishing touches that I'll do today. Some grass on top and B&W hexagon football pattern around the sides. I wouldve normally done them last night but wanted to take my time and as the cake isn't needed till Sunday it will be ok.

I have a quick question tho the cake is already covered in green fondant and I want to add the black and White freshly cut fondant peices, would u recommend dampening with water or edible glue? Also should I add a large peice of White fondant on top of green before I attach the peices incase any colour shows through?

alleykat1 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:38am
post #44 of 53

Scotch miss ...I attach all my fondant with water. .as far as the other question I'm interested in the answer too lol...your cake sounds cool...on my cake It is already decorated in buttercream what I need to know is if I should freeze it now so that it is frozen for transport or will that mess up the buttercream decoration?

alleykat1 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:01am
post #45 of 53

I guess everyone's gone to bed already...

Scotch__Mist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scotch__Mist Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:41am
post #46 of 53

Thanks that's what I was thinking, just a tiny bit of water.

I'm in the uk so I'm just up and ready to start icon_smile.gif

Sorry I don't use buttercream so not sure about freezing it.

amandda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandda Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:42am
post #47 of 53

ok so i am new to this cake thing and am hooked! so i got the erge to just bake a cake today and ice it just for practice. i quikly learned never use grocery store icing! i sucked and my cake looked sooooooo ugly! at least my 6 year old liked it. my problem is buttercream holds up so well to design and icing the cake but my family hates the taste. and whip cream isnt thick enough for deorating and doesnt crust and i dont know how to use fondant yet so im lost i make pretty cakes and my family wont eat them with buttercream and i make ugly cakes and they love them?! what do i do?!

Apti Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:45am
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykat1

Scotch miss ...I attach all my fondant with water. .as far as the other question I'm interested in the answer too lol...your cake sounds cool...on my cake It is already decorated in buttercream what I need to know is if I should freeze it now so that it is frozen for transport or will that mess up the buttercream decoration?

Don't freeze it for the morning or the BC will develop a lot of condensation and drip water drops. Just refrigerate it to firm up the BC a little. Sorry you had a melted cake, usually IndyDebi's icing never melts in the heat, that's why so many people like it.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:09am
post #49 of 53

Amandda: try making SMBC or IMBC - my family felt the same way about my traditional buttercream until I switched to SMBC. I will never go back!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 12:31pm
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainalee

Ohhh, do let us know how the Cake Challange goes for you. I am an instructor for Hobby Lobby and have just a couple students in mind for one so far. It does sound like soo much fun!

I will, this is actually my 2nd. It was lots of fun. My instructor, who planned and executed both of them can be reached via her blog http://www.handmadeinhighplaces.com/ if you have questions.

Alert...I'm gonna toot my own horn for a minute...in the last one I won 1st place in both judges score and customer votes icon_smile.gif for the lime green wedding cake in my pics.

Thanks!

Apti Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Yay! I can finally come out and play with you all! Hobby decorator here so I'm not usually working on cakes on Friday nights.

I am participating in a challenge at Michael's tomorrow so I've been working on my gumpaste pieces all week and tonight got my layers trimmed, filled and crumbcoated; carved my pumpkin for the top. All my fondant and bc is tinted and everything I'll need is packed and ready to go (I hope). In the morning I just need to cover my cakes in fondant and stack them.

icon_lol.gif Wish me luck!

CONGRATULATIONS ELCEE! I looked at your cake and can see why you got 1st place. We're all proud of you.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:06pm
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

New shop?

Moving to larger quarters? Or moving from home/rental to retail storefront?

From legal home kitchen to a retail space. The plumber is taking his sweet time. Once that's done then I have some work to do and my brother the electrician has to move some plugs and then inspection and opening. It is ok that the plumber took a while cause I have been to busy to move anyway.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:50am
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

CONGRATULATIONS ELCEE! I looked at your cake and can see why you got 1st place. We're all proud of you.

Thanks! I won today, too icon_biggrin.gif

The bad news is that since I've won twice now I can't enter again but the good news is that I was asked to be a judge next time! I haven't downloaded pics yet but will in the next few days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%