Has Anyone Ever????

Decorating By anxietyattack Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 12:33am by SharonK1973

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:12am
post #1 of 18

Has anyone ever combined SMBC and regular buttercream? If so how did it turn out? I want to try it but I just thought I'd ask first icon_smile.gif

17 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:32am
post #2 of 18

Ha ha...love your screen name first of all...

I have heard of people doing this. There is a thread, which I forget the name of but mainly had to do with meringue buttercream...in which people talked about it. They had good results. Most did it to try to knock out the buttery taste of SMBC or IMBC.

Personally, I prefer to used unsalted butter and add melted and cooled white chocolate. It takes out the overwhelming butter flavor that can occur when salted butter is used and makes it a bit more stable... and helps when people just can't stand the butter texture/taste of meringue bc's.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 18

I've never tried mixing it with regular buttercream, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I've been wondering about reducing the butter quantity in SMBC - would that make a lighter version? or just not work?

3GCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

I've never tried mixing it with regular buttercream, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I've been wondering about reducing the butter quantity in SMBC - would that make a lighter version? or just not work?

Do you want lighter...as in calories? Or sweeter? As in less butter taste?

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 2:52am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

Quote:

lighter in taste...so it's not so much like eating straight butter.

3GCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:00am
post #6 of 18
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

lighter in taste...so it's not so much like eating straight butter.

Are you using salted butter or unsalted?

I don't make SMBC, I do IMBC, but I ALWAYS add either white or dark chocolate. It makes it a whole different creature, IMO.

What recipe are you using? I use a carton of egg whites (equivalent to eight egg whites), about 1 3/4 cups sugar, 7-8 sticks of UNSALTED butter, and 10-12 ounces of white chocolate for my recipe. No one ever tells me it tastes like butter.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:12am
post #7 of 18

There's a recipe here on CC called "The Well Dressed Swiss Meringue Buttercream" (I think that's the proper name) which I use for mine because I find it's not got such a butter taste. I made a different recipe once and hated the strong butter taste.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #8 of 18
Quote:

I don't make SMBC, I do IMBC, but I ALWAYS add either white or dark chocolate. It makes it a whole different creature, IMO.

What recipe are you using? I use a carton of egg whites (equivalent to eight egg whites), about 1 3/4 cups sugar, 7-8 sticks of UNSALTED butter, and 10-12 ounces of white chocolate for my recipe. No one ever tells me it tastes like butter.

I like using IMBC also, and just wondered, do you just make your recipe as usual and then add the white or dark chocolate at the end?

TIA icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

Quote:

I like using IMBC also, and just wondered, do you just make your recipe as usual and then add the white or dark chocolate at the end?

TIA icon_smile.gif

Yep...the chocolate is melted and cooled. I add it at the end, whip for another few minutes or so. And I just use Baker's brand...nothing super special.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:26am
post #10 of 18

Thanks 3GCakes...will give it a try!

3GCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:28am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

Thanks 3GCakes...will give it a try!

No prob! Hope you like it!

anxietyattack Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks guys! Yeah. I joined one night when I was panicking about a cake and thus the name lol. I'll try it in the next few days and let you know how it went icon_smile.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 18

You can reduce the butter by a little and you can also increase the sugar (in SMBC, I haven't tried it with IMBC). I increase the sugar by 25% and it helps helps with the buttery taste. If you are adding flavorings that have sugar in them though, don't increase the sugar. Whipping it alot until it is fluffy, shiny and just about white helps too. I added white chocolate once and thought it was way too rich and sweet- but that might work if the sugar was reduced. I often use fruit juice that I have reduced (cooked down) by half to flavor SMBC but in this case I don't increase the sugar. Sweetened fruit purees and reduced fruit juices make the best flavorings for this icing in my opinion. Pineapple juice cooked down with brown sugar and a little rum extract- mmmm!

anxietyattack Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 18

I don't even know if you guys are checking back in with this but I thought I'd post that I finally tried it! hahaha. I'm sorry it took so long. I made a batch of Indydebi's crisco buttercream and a batch of the well dressed SMBC and put half of the SMBC into the regular buttercream and WOW!!!! It is AWESOME! I'm going to ice my cake later today but the texture and tase of it is amazing!!!!

3GCakes Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:28pm
post #15 of 18

Glad to hear it!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 1:38pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

There's a recipe here on CC called "The Well Dressed Swiss Meringue Buttercream" (I think that's the proper name) which I use for mine because I find it's not got such a butter taste. I made a different recipe once and hated the strong butter taste.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

Is this the recipe you are talking about? I may have to give it a try!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:31am
post #17 of 18

Just in case anyone is still following this post... I tried it about three weeks ago and it was very nice. Here is a picture of it all mixed together and then one of the mixture used to frost and pipe... that is if I will be allowed to attach a picture...

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 12:33am
post #18 of 18

...and it didn't allow me to attach the pictures! I'll put them in my pictures. The ones with mixer in the picture and the cake is the eagle scout sheetcake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%