Is It About The Cake Or The Filling?

Decorating By Chasey Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm by Emmar308

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 17

When you are enjoying your slice of cake, is it all about the cake or more about the filling for you?

Do your customers want their layers torted to gain more tasty bites of filling? Or do you find they want more tasty bites of cake and no torting is necessary?

Or do you torte generally for the height and presentation of the cut slices?

Of course it's about the marriage of both icon_biggrin.gif , just curious what YOU and your customers/family like....if it's the same or not.

16 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 17

I like to torte because I like filling or icing with every bite of cake, and I don't want to take huge bites to get it. icon_wink.gif

Chasey Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 17

I'm the opposite! icon_lol.gif I love the cake part and I take a bite of icing from the top or a little from the middle with my cake bite. It's all about the cake with a little bit of icing for me!

But you know what, that's probably because I am a buttercream filling preferred kinda gal! Fruity fillings are not my fave. I have kindergartner taste buds. icon_razz.gif

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 17

I like torting, and I fill with fillings other than bc. I'm not a huge bc fan, so I'd rather have as little of it as possible...but fillings- now- I could eat that straight from the bowl! I also think it's much prettier to cut open a cake and see it torted and filled.

Chasey Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJTKNT

I also think it's much prettier to cut open a cake and see it torted and filled.

Agreed! Do you use something to guide you such as an Agbay or leveler? Or old fashioned eyeball and knife? icon_smile.gif

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 17

I love the look of a torted cake and all the delicious layers. And my thighs agree icon_eek.gif

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentwn

I love the look of a torted cake and all the delicious layers. And my thighs agree icon_eek.gif

Haha...mine certainly do too...Chasey, I use a leveler. I'm not good enough to eyeball.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 17

personally i'm all about the cake... but i don't even eat my own frosting.

But for everyone else i like to torte so i have 4-1" layers with 3 layers of filling. I find i get the best responses with that since they are getting a little bit of both in the bite and it's a little more even. Like someone else said you don't have to take a big bite to get the filling, cake and icing in one shot.

Chasey Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

personally i'm all about the cake... but i don't even eat my own frosting.

Oh good, I thought I was alone in the "it's all about the cake" dept! Do you not like frosting at all? What kind do you generally make?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 17

love the torted look so it's not about more icing for me. I can't separate the two unless the cake is just nasty or the BC is just nasty and then of course it's about the better half. I just like it to be a gorgeous blend of tastes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Oh good, I thought I was alone in the "it's all about the cake" dept! Do you not like frosting at all? What kind do you generally make?

I typically make an american buttercream. But also do ganache and fondant. I'm just not an icing kinda girl. I'll eat it sometimes with my cake, but i'd much prefer the cake. Thankfully my BF is like that too, so when i make cakes for home it's pretty easy, and we don't have to wait for it to cool completely!!

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 17

Being from the UK i'm a bit confused by some of the phrases being used - what do you mean by fillings? do you not just fill with buttercream? And what is torteing? Sorry for my ignorant questions!

Chasey Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 17

I'm with ya on eating the cake while still warm!! In fact, 95% of the time when I serve myself a slice of cake (already iced, usually) I warm it in the microwave for 9 seconds. Just enough to make the icing start to slide and get that fresh baked taste back. icon_biggrin.gif Yum!

Emmar308 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 17

Also, is buttercream different to frosting?

Chasey Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmar308

Being from the UK i'm a bit confused by some of the phrases being used - what do you mean by fillings? do you not just fill with buttercream? And what is torteing? Sorry for my ignorant questions!

Not ignorant at all! Anything in between the cake layers is considered filling. I use buttercream between my layers 99% of the time or else it may be pudding/whipped cream mousse kind of thing. I don't care for the fruity fillings.

Torting the layer is when you slice one cake pan in half, horizontally. If you were to stack your two baked layers together after torting both of them once each, you would see 4 thin layers of cake with icing/filling in between them. Does that make sense?

Chasey Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:30pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmar308

Also, is buttercream different to frosting?

Buttercream is frosting. Or icing. Depends on what area of this country is naming it! American buttercream is generally room temperature butter or shortening or a combo of both plus powdered sugar (also known as icing sugar), flavoring and some kind of liquid ex. milk, water, creamer whipped together by a mixer. No cooking required, no eggs. icon_smile.gif

Emmar308 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:42pm
post #17 of 17

Thankyou Chasey! Great explanation - i now completely understand all the various terminologies used! Btw i'm a plenty of buttercream and strawberry jam in my cake kinda girl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%