Apple Blossom Cake, Need Help With Flowers

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm by debbief

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 9

Im having a hard time making apple blossom flowers that look good. This is for a wedding cake that has that style with the branch going up the front of it with flowers on it. I think its usually done with cherry blossoms. I dont think it matters which flower anyway, because they are going to be blue so its not going to be realistic anyway.

Well, I first tried doing it with a 5 petal flower cutter. Its too small. Its only about an inch across. Then I tried a technique where you kind of start with a ball, mark it into 5 sections with a gumpaste tool, then cut slits to make the petals. You have to then kind of shape it into a flower....which, actually the ones I tried were pretty nice, but the middle of all of them looked cracked. None of them looked smooth and pretty in the middle.

Does anyone know of another technique to make really pretty apple blossoms, or do you know of a way i can use the technique I just mentioned but get the center to stay smooth when Im pulling apart and shaping the petals?

8 replies
JCE62108 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 9

This is the tutorial I used, btw. Maybe this will help explain what I was talking about.

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/06/cherry-blossom-tutorial.html

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 9

What about purchasing a larger 5 petal cutter?

twincakesanabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twincakesanabelle Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 9

Hi JCE62108, make them out of royal icing. You could make them fast and any size you want. I made some yesterday with tip #101 for small and tip #103 for larger ones. I hope this helps you.

JCE62108 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 9

lol. This is for tomorrow, guys.. but the royal is a nice idea. Just wont have time for it to dry. icon_sad.gif No time to go out and find a larger cutter. Im working on this thing right now.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 9

When I made cherry blossom flowers, I used stamin in the centers. That covered up any cracking you may have. If you don't have stamin, how about using royal icing to pipe centers? Or how about rolling little balls of fondat to make the centers and put them in with gum glue? Pipe buttercream centers?

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 9

When I made cherry blossom flowers, I used stamin in the centers. That covered up any cracking you may have. If you don't have stamin, how about using royal icing to pipe centers? Or how about rolling little balls of fondat to make the centers and put them in with gum glue? Pipe buttercream centers?

JCE62108 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:20am
post #8 of 9

All done! It turned out ok. the stamins did help cover the cracking a bit. Still not really up to the standards i was hoping for, but it looks pretty good.

Now to drive 1.5 hours to the beach with this thing tomorrow. Joy. You know, Im not doing such huge favors for people anymore. Only charged $350 for this cake, including delivery. the cake should have been $618 plus delivery...and it took me 16 hours from baking to cleanup. Uuugghhh.

Anyways, thanks for the help, guys.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

This is the tutorial I used, btw. Maybe this will help explain what I was talking about.

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/06/cherry-blossom-tutorial.html

JCE62108, this is the same tutorial I used when I made my cherry blossoms. It's in my photos. Maybe your gumpaste is too dry and that's why the middle is cracking? I didn't put mine on wire or use the stamins. I just painted the very middle with yellow food gell and then put little brown dots over that. Also, I used fondant with a little tylose, not gumpaste.

ooops didn't notice your last post. I'm glad it worked out for you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%