My First Cake

Decorating By korriedawn Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 4:04am by korriedawn

korriedawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korriedawn Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 5

Help! My daughter wants a dinosaur birthday party and I thought this year I would try my hand at making her a dino cake! I have found the perfect cake & am going to be making my own fondant to decorate. I feel very confident with this project but the problem that I am running into is that I have to take this cake on a five hour journey to get to the birthday party!? Should I finish my cake at home & then transport it or should I wait and do everything before the party? I'm just not sure how long the fondant and cake will keep bc I want the cake to taste as fresh as possible or does it need a certain amt of time to set up before the party? HELP!! Hoping I'm not in over my head with this one!! icon_redface.gif

4 replies
Kandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandis Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 5

The frosting you put under the fondant and then the fondant itself will seal the freshness in! I don't know if your cake will be stacked and fragile or not but if not, then I would probably do it before I left home and take a repair kit with me. Or at least do as much as I could ahead and finish it there. Good Luck to you!

korriedawn Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:48am
post #3 of 5

Thank you! I've decided to make the cake at home. I plan to shape & frost the cake then cover the cake in fondant the night before the party. Very excited, this will be my first cake!!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 5

I would cover the cake with the fondant right after you ice it, and transport it with the fondant on. I find that once its covered its easier to transport and the cake just feels sturdier. Plise the fondant is what is keeping the cake fresh and the icing moist.

Just make sure you don't cover a cake with fondant that is cold. It will sweat under the fondant and puddle.
HTH

korriedawn Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:04am
post #5 of 5

Thanks! Def need any & all advice I can get with this. How many days should I give myself for this project?! My daughters birthday party is the 30th. My cake was inspired by the red dinosaur childrens cake I found when I googled 'images: red dinosaur cake' - he is the one on the bottom left! TOO CUTE! To give you some idea of what I'm attempting here! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%