Fresh Flowers On Cakes

Decorating By LT09 Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 3:22am by LT09

LT09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LT09 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone!!,
I am doing a anniversary cake this weekend with fresh Mums and was wondering when I can add the flowers to the cake? I have never worked with fresh flowers before so I don't know how soon is to soon? I wanted to add them before delievery but she lives 1Hr30mins away. Does anyone have experiance with this?

9 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:17am
post #2 of 10

I wouldn't ..

They should not sit on any part of the decorated cake.

Are the flowers certified pesticide- and fungicide-free?

They are rate as Toxicity Category 3 ie a plant that can produce mild-moderate stomach upset or dermatitis.

Fresh flowers can be a problem in regards to cake decorating ..

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:02am
post #3 of 10

I would do a search to see how safe they are to be around food. If they are in fact safe, I would try to wrap the stems in floral tape to protect the cake from the stems, and I would put on at the site, not before. I know there are a lot of flowers that are a no no for cakes. I almost did a wedding with hydrangea flowers, to find out that they can cause severe vomitting and stomach discomfort, and sometimes are poisonous. So I made them out of gum paste...just google it to make sure there is not a problem, better to cover your butt then have a lot of sick/unhappy people...

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:31am
post #4 of 10

If food safe you can also use wiltons flower spikes. the spike push into the cake and you put the flowers in the spikes. I have used succesfully when adding roses to a cake.

LT09 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:51am
post #5 of 10

I talked to my florist and she said they would be fine! they said they don't use anything harmful on there flowers

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT09

I talked to my florist and she said they would be fine! they said they don't use anything harmful on there flowers

Perhaps you could place them on/in the cake then once you have delivered the cake.
If your florist says the particular ones you are using are fine to use.

Remember wilting could happen if they are placed on too soon.
In which case i would transport the flowers serperate to the cake - soas to keep them fresh.

Bluehue.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 10

Yeah, but florists will tell you ANYthing. It's not what the florist does to the flowers, it's how and where they're grown. Many, if not most flowers come from South American growers who have few if any restrictions on the chemicals they use in the growing process.

poomagoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poomagoo Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT09

Often its the flowers themselves that are harmful and a lot of people don't even think about that. Like auzzi, I wouldn't put fresh flowers directly on a cake - you could put them on a layer of acetate to keep them from actually touching the cake. One site I just looked at had 'mums at number 6 in their top 10 poisonous plants icon_eek.gif. Can you make some out of gumpaste instead?

LT09 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:19am
post #9 of 10

oh man I guess it's to late

LT09 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:22am
post #10 of 10

I didn't ealize I had responses Im praying no one gets sick!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%