Need Opinions

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 1:33pm by TPACakeGirl

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a Celtic/Irish theme wedding cake. I was given free reign to do whatever I would like. I decided to incorporate the grooms kilt into the cake, so I made the very bottom tier a green plaid with red accents that matches the swatch. I have 3 more tiers to make, and I can't decide if I should just make them the plain off white stacked on the one plaid tier, or if I should alternate ivory rounds with another green plaid? I don't want the cake to be too overbearing, but I want it to stand out too.

3 replies
michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 4

What are you putting on the ivory rounds?

I would alternate the ivory rounds with another green plaid. It just seems it would balance it more unless you are putting something on the ivory rounds that would make it look unbalanced or something. Just my opinion. lol I'm sure whatever you do, it will be beautiful.

Good luck!

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 4

i would leave the main bulk of colour at the bottom tier and maybe incorporate the same colours again in the third from the bottom with a celtic pattern/knot around the border and add a claddagh to that tier as a symbol of their love. I can see it in my head anyway and think it would look nice without looking over the top icon_smile.gif

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 4

I had a specially made claddagh topper created for them. It's brushed metal, and has their mongram in the middle. I was doing some braids on the ivory tiers. After 12 hours of braiding tiny strands of fondant and placing them on a 9" round, a hole developed in the fondant for some reason. I had to pull it all off and start over. I know I don't have the time to redo the braiding. Decorating is not my full time job. As it is, I've gone to bed at 2am the last 2 nights and awakened at 5am to get this done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%