Size Of Cake Base Related To Tier Size . . .

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 11:34pm by DinasSugarShack

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 6

I'm getting ready for my first wedding cake, due October 30th. It will be a three square tiered cake - 6"/9"/12". The base I almost always use is actually one that my grandpa made my grandma when she did cakes - it's a sturdy round base that's about 3/4" tall and about 17.5" in diameter.

I was checking out my supply list and placed the 12" pan on the base, and I don't know if it will be big enough. It's the biggest and sturdiest board I have. The difference between the pan at the corners and the base is less than an inch on each side - that's too little room, right? After adding frosting?

What do you think? Would you use this base or get another one? If I were to get another one, I would probably go to the hardware store and get a wood base - how big would you go for a cake with a 12" square bottom tier? Would you do a round base or a square one?

5 replies
qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

You could do a 20in base and I would do wood as well. Is it going to be on a stand?

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 6

They don't have a stand as far as I know.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack

it's a sturdy round base that's about 3/4" tall and about 17.5" in diameter.

I was checking out my supply list and placed the 12" pan on the base, and I don't know if it will be big enough. It's the biggest and sturdiest board I have. The difference between the pan at the corners and the base is less than an inch on each side - that's too little room, right? After adding frosting?

The right angle measurement of a 12" square is 16.97, so that's less than a quarter of an inch on each side after adding icing if placed on your 17.5" diameter round board. I use boards that are 4" larger than the cake, so I'd choose a 16" square baseboard.

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 6

I wouldn't use a round base for a square cake. I would use a square 18" base. JMTCW icon_smile.gif

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 6

I was told by my instructor in my one of my courses that you should go 4" larger than cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%