How Long To Leave Buttecream On Before Addding Fondant?

Decorating By MissFluff Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm by yummy_in_my_tummy

MissFluff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFluff Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hello. My name is Jessica, and I am new here. I am sorry if this question has already been asked before (and I'm sure it has, but I can't find it icon_biggrin.gif), but could you please tell me how long you leave buttercream on a cake before placing the fondant on top of it?

I just recently decided to pick up the hobby of cake baking, and I have never made a cake with fondant. Thanks for any help you might could give me!

3 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 4

I like to put the fondant on before the buttercream crusts, that way it is a nice "glue" for the fondant!

And ask any questions you need to! It is easier to use google to do the search - the one on here doesn't always work very well.

Welcome to CC! icon_smile.gif

MissFluff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFluff Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! My first cake is either going to be great or a complete disaster! I am trying to do a shetland sheepdog cake (probably only one layer since it is my first cake). I bought a sheltie cookie cutter online today to use to cut out shapes of fondant.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 4

I usually let my cakes sit out for a while before I cover them in fondant. I use a crusting buttercream, so the top layer will get kind of hard to the touch, I think it holds the fondant up better.

You can get the crusting buttercream recipe here on CC, it's butter AND shortening, the shortening causes it to crust.

Also, when your cake is sitting out to crust, you can put a little bit of weight on the top of the cake to help squish airbubbles out of the filling. That will help with any air bubbles later on.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%