You've Got To Be Kidding Me !! *venting** (Long)

Decorating By careylynn Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 11:25am by Karen421

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

This is exactly why you need to prepare a �politically correct� response that will keep the peace. Memorize it, and use the EXACT SAME PHRASE whenever this particular cake is brought up in the future by your MIL. If she brings it up 30 times, use the EXACT SAME PHRASE 30 times! You will not be rude or abrasive or evasive, you will simply repeat the EXACT SAME PHRASE in a pleasant tone of voice.

I remember doing that during a pregnancy.
I think it was "I'm sorry, but I don't listen to pregnancy horror stories" spoken in a pleasant voice.
It's amazing how many people love to tell stories of botched pregnancies to a pregnant woman.

It does work.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:25am
post #62 of 69

My God...what does your husband think about this? In times like these, I go to my husband and let him know about it, and since he has a really close relationship with her, he helps me...because she's a bit crazy!

Your MIL though...what a piece of work! Your cake was gorgeous...straight into my favorites. I too cannot stand people who don't want something sweet, and yet order cake with frosting, which is mostly SUGAR!

I love the advice Apti gave...very helpful and I'll take it, thanks! I'd love to hear an example of your "phrase."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:33am
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

It's amazing how many people love to tell stories of botched pregnancies to a pregnant woman.

or tell you how many were killed in Iraq last week when they find out your Marine son is over there. icon_eek.gif Or who THEY knew who died of cancer (usually in record time!) when they find out your sister has cancer.

People are idiots.

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #64 of 69

I have not read all the post but agree that your MIL should suck eggs. I saved your cat in the hat cat photo to my faves also. As an aside to what Indebi said - the night before hubby departed to Afganistan we had our normal pre deployment wine/chees/movie night together - his choice of movie was Black Hawk Down icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . He uses this when training the young troop pre deploying what NOT to do. Some people just have no brain. I think your work is great and please just don't do any more freebies for the family - they will take advantage again and again.

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #65 of 69

And I just reread your first post - SHE was giving it as a gift to the bride ??? icon_eek.gif Tell her to make her own gift cake next time. Did she tell the bride she did not make it ??

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathmore

And I just reread your first post - SHE was giving it as a gift to the bride ??? icon_eek.gif Tell her to make her own gift cake next time. Did she tell the bride she did not make it ??

Yes, it was HER gift to the bride, lol, imagine that! The bride knew I made it but I don't think she fully knew the payment agreement, that it was made at cost.

The whole thing was a learning experience. *sigh*

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:19am
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJTKNT

My God...what does your husband think about this? In times like these, I go to my husband and let him know about it, and since he has a really close relationship with her, he helps me...because she's a bit crazy!

He kept apologizing over and over again. He knows. He's not dumb. He just has a hard time understanding why I let it bother me. I wear my heart on my sleeve. Always have, probably always will.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:26am
post #68 of 69

[quote="CambriasCakes"]I didn't have time to read through all the posts, so forgive me if I'm being redundant but, can I just tell you how much I HATE when people say they didn't like the cake, pie, frosting, etc., because it was "too sweet"??!? It's cake for crying out loud! If you don't want something "too sweet" then go eat an orange!!! Arrgggg!!!!!!

Or maybe next time she asks for a cake bake her one that has NO sugar in it and see what she says icon_razz.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:25am
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

or tell you how many were killed in Iraq last week when they find out your Marine son is over there. icon_eek.gif Or who THEY knew who died of cancer (usually in record time!) when they find out your sister has cancer.

People are idiots.

I really think it goes beyond that - I think some people just have no common sense what-so-ever!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%