Bridezilla Dumped Me For Walmart/wegmans 3 Days B4 Wedding!!

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm by Coral3

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 62

So I really needed to vent!!! About a 3 wks ago my little cousin emails me on facebook to ask me prices for a wedding cake for this Saturday. She told me they were rushing to put it together so fast because she's about 8 1/2 mos pregnant and since the "baby daddy" finally proposed (after baby #2 is on the way) she wanted to get it all done asap. I didn't want to do it....everything in my head screamed "NO" but I went through with the quote knowing she probably couldn't afford me anyway. She told me it was for $65 ppl and she picked out a simple design of buttercream w/ dots & ribbon. I told her I would work with her and do it for $125 but she had to pick it up (I wasn't even invited to the wedding) since it was out of state in some backroom @ a bar. She said she would get back to me after she talked to her dad. So later that night her dad calls and BEGS me to do this cake. Tells me it is all about ME doing the cake and NO ONE else. He doesn't care about the cost just so that I'M the one doing. One of those situations where you can't say no... So yesterday I email the bride and tell her I have just about all the stuff and wanted to be sure we were still on target for 65 ppl (heard a rumor her father was inviting ppl too). She says yes and that she's really excited to see the cake. I explain to her that seeing as her cake is for so few ppl don't expect a huge cake there, that it would be 3 small tiers. She then wants to know if there is any way for her to see how big it would be BEFORE the wedding. I told her I could mock up something using the cake dummies take a pic on my cell and send it to her. While I'm waiting for her # she emails me again and tells me that she has recounted and they are presently at 80!! I tell her that's fine but it will cost her more BUT she needs to check w/ her dad first. She says OK. Figuring this is the end of all the hassle I make plans to purchse the extra things for the extra servings. I mock up the cake now and send it to her cell. She's happy with it....or so I thought. Then she starts asking me about putting the tiers together when she gets the cake. I explain to her that she's getting a stacked cake and it will be ready to put on the table when she gets it....this confuses her, which in turn confuses me because I don't know how else to explain it to her. Turns out she now wants columns and such on the cake....don't know how I was supposed to know this...she picked a stacked cake!!! now she want's to know if that will cost extra, will she need to pay for the things she's wants and how does she set it all up. Still trying to be nice, though no sure why at this point, I tell her if she purchases the ones she wants and can get them to me by tonight I can have it set up for her so that she just has to stack them when they get there. She again says OK she will let me know what the plans are once she talks to her dad. I hear NOTHING from anyone all night. So I text her @ 8 p.m. and let her know I'm picking the rest of the stuff up first thing this morning so I need to know what's up....this is what I get "Yea i think we are going to go get one at walmart or wegmans..im sorry" ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! Do they even accept orders 3 days before the wedding???? Will they do it cheaper then $150???? With pillars???? and she realizes they don't deliver right??? UGGGGGHHHHH!!! Has anyone ever had this happen???

I've been worried sick about this stupid cake because I figured the payment would be late, no good or not come at all since her dad stuck my uncle for 100K and didn't bat an eye. I NEVER expected the ungrateful little child to do this!!!! I figure she will email at some point today if Walmart won't do it on short notice, to which I will gladly reply...."sorry made other plans!" Probably give me a black eye in the family but o well....

Thanks for listening and sorry it was so long!!

61 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 62

*Shaking head sadly* Family. Why is the worst behaviour always from family?

I am so sorry you had to go through this.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 62

Wow! Just be glad you did not go to all the work and then get stiffed with no money either!!
Guess it's another life lesson. Listen to your gut!

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 62

WOW! That stinks! Sorry that happened to you, especially when its family. But sometimes, family can be the worst customers and most inconsiderate. Think of it as a lesson learned...and move on! And when they call you back because they can't get what they want at Walmart, don't feel bad about telling them you have "other plans", obviously they didn't seem to care about all the work you went through getting the things you needed.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 62

This is exactly why you get a deposit first..Family or no family..I would have had her send me a deposit before I even started and made sure she knew it was NON refundable 2 weeks before the wedding...she cancelled 3 days before...NO MONEY BACK...period....

By the way...sorry this happened..It stinks... icon_wink.gif

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 62

Yep, just happened to me yesterday! I had an order (a friend order ie no contract) for 100 people and a smash cake for a friends baby's b-day party THIS SATURDAY. I emailed her to finalize design and flavors and the email I got back was "Oh, I dont think I can afford you, Im going to get cupcakes at costco" "But can you do a smash cake for the baby?" I was very nice but replied "No, I only do smash cakes if I have a larger order to attach them to." I feel your pain. People dont realize we turn away other orders because were "helping them out" I personally turned away 2 Halloween party cakes because of this order!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 62

People have no idea how much work goes into planning a cake, even before it's in the oven. The vindictive side of me hopes your little cousin does call today or tomorrow asking you to do the cake again just so you can tell her no. Sorry this happened to you.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 62

RUDE! Sorry to hear your trouble.

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 62

Family is the worst. I did a 3 tier fondant covered (my Fisrt ) wedding cake for a young women that lives with my daughter. Down and out, cant afford a cake blah blah , you know the story . Anyway did it for free. I didnt get a kiss my butt,it looks o.k. or a simple Thank you. I just kept telling myself I needed the experience . Live and learn.

LillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyCakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 62

WOW!!! I am sorry you had to go through that. I am just starting and I really hope nothing like that happens to me... I might need bail money!!! LOL

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 62

Wedding held in the back of a bar? 8 1/2 months pregnant? A wedding cake from Walmart? Yikes. Bride is not the classiest of people, so it stands to reason that she would not treat you with any class.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 62

It's hearing things like this that makes me want to get a job where I don't have to deal with anyone...in a corner somewhere countin' pennies or somethin'...they aggrevate me just readin' about 'em. I don't know what it means but, wanker sounds like a good word for 'em...or my newest, "cheesehead" (I've been workin' on my cussin' issues)

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 62

Sorry that happened to you BUT I betting it's ALL FOR THE BEST!!!

I'm being serious, Walmart does wedding cakes? (I've never heard of Wegmans)

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

This is exactly why you get a deposit first..Family or no family..I would have had her send me a deposit before I even started and made sure she knew it was NON refundable 2 weeks before the wedding...she cancelled 3 days before...NO MONEY BACK...period....

By the way...sorry this happened..It stinks... icon_wink.gif

I completely agree with Kiddie. That is what I do as well. I have a contract that the bride signs with a disclaimer at the bottom stating that there will be a deposit on the cake and if they cancel less than 3 weeks prior to the date, they deposit may not be refunded. Live and learn lesson. Sorry this happened. icon_sad.gif

chrissysconfections Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 62

Stupid thing is.... I do have a contract....very detailed ones BUT she was my cousin, her dad grew up in my home w/my brothers and I, she lives out of state and her dad is never to be found so my husband and I agreed we'd let the contract slide this one time!!! Anyone seen the chunk of my a$$ they took when they bit me???? Grrrrrrrrr! icon_mad.gif
I'm soooo annoyed because I know the little brat is gonna turn this around on me and say I changed things, charged more after the fact...etc. It won't be her fault....it never is...not even getting preggers 3 x's before married w/ 2 different men the 1st while still in high school!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
I have saved the emails and the final text message but I doubt that will help me much.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 62

ewww, walmart cakes taste blah! make sure to update if she calls you back changing her mind

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:14pm
post #17 of 62

It's hard when it's family. Could be worse -- she could've expected you to do it for free! Sounds like it worked out for the best -- Never know . . . .given that she's so far along, maybe she'll go into labor before Saturday and the wedding won't even happen.

As far as deposits go, I require a $100 NON-refundable deposit on all wedding cakes (family or not). I used to return it if order was cancelled more than 30 days before the event date. Then I realized that I was turning down other brides way further out than that because that date was booked. This way I at least have the $100 to make up for it.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 62

Hmmm, seems like you are missing the obvious, Chrissyconfections.... this was not the tacky insult you perceive, Honey, this was Divine intervention. A wedding in the back of a bar for a gal with 3 kids by two different men and the father of the bride once cheated your uncle out of 100K and you thought you would get a penny? Really? Wake up and smell the buttercream - this isn't a family event - it's a bad sitcom! Get down on your knees ASAP and thank the Good Lord that you are out of it!
PS.... ALWAYS be busy for any future cakes this part of the family requests.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #19 of 62

when i worked at wal-mart we still had to have a minimum of 10 days notice for a wedding cake b/c we didn't keep the wedding cakes in stock (only white was available and we could order the 2-tier or 3-tier "kit") we had to order them, and they weren't stocked in all of the warehouses so it took longer to get to us b/c of that.

So i'd be surprised if she is able to get a wedding cake even from wal-mart at this late of a date.

chrissysconfections Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 6:27pm
post #20 of 62

I didn't think they could get a cake anywhere this close to the date. Her wedding is at 4 pm Saturday and they were going around today to see what they could get. I'm seeing sheet cakes and maybe a round w/roses in my head for what they end up with but it's not my problem at this point. If/when she posts pics of the cake cutting I'll post them to the thread.
I've gone "offline" on fb so she can't contact me there and if her or her father calls or emails me I just won't answer. I'm a push over sometimes and I don't want to be in that position. I won't be home tomorrow or Friday to get their call, my husband will be and believe me when I say they would do themselves a favor by not calling!!

Spuddysmom~ your ABSOLUTELY right!! I should feel blessed, relieved, etc. and from this point forward I will!!!

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:47am
post #21 of 62

The last time I called walmart, schnucks and dierbergs for a price on stacked cakes all three said they did not do stacked cakes anymore. Don't answer your phone.......

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:57am
post #22 of 62

I agree with Casme...don't answer the phone...I bet you $$ they will call you back!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:37am
post #23 of 62

If you're 8.5 months pregnant ......
With your 2nd kid ......
And he FINALLY proposes.......
and the wedding will be out of state ......
In a bar .......
In the backroom ......
And you decide to get a walmart cake 3 days before the wedding.....

then you might be a redneck! icon_razz.gif

Just do a couple of "hail mary and praise god!" prayers of thanks that you are no longer involved in this!

And don't worry about how she will spin this to YOU being the villain and making all the changes and trying to get more money out of her ..... rest assured you are NOT the only person who knows the game she plays. They'll know she's fulla crap. They'll know.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:05am
post #24 of 62

indydebi;; you are soooo funny/..

Anyways,,be glad it's over and I know WEGMANS,,so they will not do it either for 3 days in advance PLUS if they go elsewhere..charges are UP due to being so close to wedding day! They will be kicking their own butts for changing their mind on you doing it and do NOT answer phone OR if you do,,,just be honest.."I don't have time, sorry" b/c you really don't. Being honest is best and they may not even learn from this OR maybe they will but with the lifestyle..I don't think so. As far as contract....always,,always..always do it regardless if it's family or not. You have to and it sucks to not be able to trust your own family..but the society nowadays is untrustworthy a LOT easier due to recession, and attitudes people carry on our tough economy.. Just learn from this and be thankful. God does things for a reason..he took you out of this position in case you got screwed at all..so it's best!

Be happy not sad anymore..

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:58am
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you're 8.5 months pregnant ......
With your 2nd kid ......
And he FINALLY proposes.......
and the wedding will be out of state ......
In a bar .......
In the backroom ......
And you decide to get a walmart cake 3 days before the wedding.....
then you might be a redneck!

LMAO...Debi, you are my kind of gal! (even more funny because my brother-in-law is a redneck!)

chrissyconfections...you really dodged a bullet on this one, just continue to stay out of the line of fire! Don't answer the phone...

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:03am
post #26 of 62

Can anyone say "Jerry Springer"

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:16am
post #27 of 62

i'm surprised their not having the wedding AT walmart (i've seen it on peopleofwalmart.com)

i fully expect to see their photos on there fairly soon.. (giggles)

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:48am
post #28 of 62

lol!!!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:17pm
post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre

Can anyone say "Jerry Springer"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's what I was thinking! Picture the reception....chairs flying, fist fights breaking out everywhere, women flashing their boobs!!!!!!! What a joyous occasion it will be.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:21pm
post #30 of 62

The family wedding I last made a cake for had to be held at 10 am because the groom is always drunk by noon every day... and they had the ceremony in a VFW bar. The bride was mad because people kept getting up to get a drink during the ceremony. It was for my sister-in law's sister so thank goodness I wasn't invited. I volunteered to do the cake just for experience and my sister-in-law needed the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%