Fondant Arum Lily

Decorating By Louise0303 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 10:25am by brincess_b

Louise0303 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louise0303 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:09am
post #1 of 3

Im doing a 4 Tier wedding cake with chocolate ganache, the bride wants fondant Arum/Calla lily on the top and sides.

My question is that i need to make these flowers before hand, but they get so hard when then dry.
I am not sure of how I am going to lay them or place them on the cake yet and when they are dry they cannot be "manipulated" to bend and fold.

I dont wnat them to look like have have just stuck in dead straigh flowers. Must i make the lily arangement and bind them all together before, how i want it to look, or must they be done individually. I dont know how to get them all together without breaking them.

I hope this post makes any sense!

2 replies
LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:39am
post #2 of 3

I would turn my cake tins upside down and arrange them around these. You can even stick them with tape. I also find steaming the flowers proir to arranging them helps make them 'softer' and easier to arrange.
Good luck.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:25am
post #3 of 3

also, make them out of gumpaste, not fondant. gumpaste is much, much stronger, so will take any little knocks you make while assembling a spray.
like late bloomer, i would make the shape of the cake with the tins (or boxes, whater) and make the spray to fit roughly onto that.
i absolutely cant describe how to make a spray... but alan dunns books are pretty useful for that.
if you get tweezers with a long thin end then you can also get inbetween the flowers (and foliage?) to tweak things even once a spray is taped up.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%