How High...

Decorating By caked4life Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 4:20am by amygortoncakes

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 6

What height do you prefer your cake tiers. I understand 4" is the standard, but do you like to live a little outside the box. Maybe 5 or 6 inches tall.

Share your thoughts!

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:23am
post #2 of 6

4" for me.

because I dont' want to have to explain over and over again why my per-slice-price is 50% higher than most because they are getting 50% more cake per slice. I'd have to have that conversation each and every time and I just chose not to have to do that.\\

Keep it simple! thumbs_up.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 6

I like the look of combining tall tiers with regular 4" tiers.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:41am
post #4 of 6

Also remember if it's too tall, it won't fit on a regular sized dessert plate. I have that problem sometimes with my 4 inch height, after I get it ganached and covered in fondant. I love the looks of the taller tiers but I would do them so that they are cut as 2 cakes (cake board in between) not as an extra tall 6 inch tier which would be hard to cut and hard to charge for as Indydebi mentioned.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:56am
post #5 of 6

I made my first 6" cake for my birthday and I loved it until I had to take half a cake home. It started toppling backwards in the box. It was only my family eating the rest so I wasn't too worried about it, but didn't like the idea of it happening to a friend if I had made it for them.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:20am
post #6 of 6

I am so glad you asked this. I am making a cake for this weekend, and I usually make tiers that are in the 6-8 inch range and then I have a heck of time rolling fondant large enough to cover the whole cake. Then I was reading about SPS and how the standard tier is 4 inches, and I had one of Oprah's ah-hah moments. I baked the cakes today, allowing for only 4 inches per tier and was actually having second thoughts tonight, but after reading this I am sticking with the 4 inches.

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%