Adding Ribbon

Decorating By softgreenside Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm by cricket0616

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering what everyone uses to hold ribbon around the edges of a cake?

5 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 6

The last ribbon I did, I used a little dot of melted white chocolate on the back of the cake where the ribbon came together. I "glued" the first piece to the cake, and then overlapped the ribbon over the glued piece, and glued it to that. I think I read a thread here on CC that some people use little pins and poke them into the cake in the back.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 6

I use boutonniere pins that I picked up from my local flower shop. They have a large pearl-like head and can easily seen and pulled out but the person disassembling the cake.

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #4 of 6

What do you do to the ribbone to make it not look greasy?? I need to attach a black satin ribbon on a cake this week, I've heard talk about ironing it to the back of wax paper??

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks Everyone! So my last cake i added an edge of fondant around the bottom edge as most Ribbon is not considered food safe. I did this that way the ribbon is against a different piece of Fondant and not on the cake. I did use little pins but i like the idea of the pins with Pearls on the end. That way when the cake gets cut it's noticeable.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 6

The thought of putting a pin in a cake scares me. I understand that it has a pearl at the end for someone to see and remove, but what if they don't. People are too sue happy now days. I would not chance that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%