The Phone Scam Is Back

Business By costumeczar Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 12:43am by tracycakes

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 6

I got a call from the phone service for the deaf today, relaying another scam call. I figured it was a scam as soon as I heard the operator say it was a relay call, but I waited until I heard the magic words "500 cupcakes to be picked up"

I told the operator that this was a well-known scam, and she said "I know." I then told her to tell them "I know that you're a scammer, and I only accept cash" and see if they hung up. She started typing and then said 'Yep, they hung up." She also told me thanks for putting an end to it right away, because a lot of people let it go on and on, and they're not allowed to say anything even though they know it's a scam. So watch out, the scammers gotten tired of emailing and are using the phone this week.

5 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 6

I don't get it? Why would they do that? Just a mean joke, or was there another point? I would assume (I know, I know) that most people would know that an order that large would need to be paid for ahead of time, so that someone isn't baking 500 cupcakes that don't get picked up.

I always take payment ahead of time unless it is someone who goes to my church of someone I know vouches for them. The bakery i used to work at had half their naughty cakes sitting there Monday morning! Not paid for, of course. NOT ME!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I don't get it? Why would they do that? Just a mean joke, or was there another point? I would assume (I know, I know) that most people would know that an order that large would need to be paid for ahead of time, so that someone isn't baking 500 cupcakes that don't get picked up.

I always take payment ahead of time unless it is someone who goes to my church of someone I know vouches for them. The bakery i used to work at had half their naughty cakes sitting there Monday morning! Not paid for, of course. NOT ME!!!

the scam is that they get the total amount from you for the "order" and send you a check that is well over that amount. And ask you to send them a check for the overpayment. Well in the meantime of you waiting to see if their check clears (it doesn't) they receive a good check form you and cash it.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 6

AHHH! I get it, but I am not that stupid! I would never take a check for over the amount! I am not an ATM! If you need cash, go get it yourself! Just write the check right! This is not WALMART in any way, shape or form!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 6

I also received that call this week. It's not the first time, but it has been awhile since my last "relay" call for a cake. I immediately told the operator it was a scam and hung up. I feel for the operators--their hands are tied.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:43am
post #6 of 6

My husband got the same call about a month ago. I came in as he was on the phone with them. As soon as he mentioned the number of cupcakes, I was skeptical, then the infamous part about adding the extra dollar amount and he told the operator it was a scam. Thanks to you guys that we were already aware of this type of scam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%