Just A Fun Little Short Story!

Decorating By heatherhasstyle Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 11:00pm by Elcee

heatherhasstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherhasstyle Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:35am
post #1 of 25

So I'm still pretty new to cake central...and to the world of fondant (loving) but I just had to share a story from my weekend about a cake I made.

I made this minnie/mickey mouse cake for my boyfriend's now 6 year old sister. The party was at their house and there were all sorts of kids running around.

During the party this one boy, who I would say was around 10 or 11yrs old came up to me and asks

"Are you the one who brought this cake?"

I said "yeah I made it actually"

then he says "You MADE this?"

I said 'mhmm"

Then he turns to look at my boyfriend and says "and this is your girlfriend?"

My boyfriend responds "yep"

then the kid pauses for a second and says "niiiicccccceeeeee"

If that didn't crack me up enough, he then went on to say "but I don't date teenage girls just yet".

So that seriously made my weekend and I felt compelled to share it. I tell you, kids will make you feel FABULOUS about your work.

Anyone else had anything funny with kids happen?? I'd love to hear!!

24 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

then the kid pauses for a second and says "niiiicccccceeeeee"

If that didn't crack me up enough, he then went on to say "but I don't date teenage girls just yet".

OH WOW, how cute is that!!!

I can't think of anything to share at this moment, but that was adorable.

BTW, welcome to CC

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 25

Too cute! He can appreciate the talent and the importance of having a girlfriend with special skillz! Your boyfriend better watch out!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 25

That was a good one! Kids say the darndest things thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 25

luv that story! icon_lol.gif

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 25

Welcome! icon_biggrin.gif That is the cutest story. Kids are great icon_rolleyes.gif

My 5 year old son always makes me feel good when he passes by my work by saying, "Wow! That really looks great Mom!"

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 25

Cute!! I did a cake for a cast party this weekend, and this little girl,about 5 yrs old, was looking at it and asking me questions about when she found out that I was the one that made[graveyard/fall cake in my pictures] When I walked away from the table, she came up to me again and said"you have to talk about the cake some more" I asked her what else she wanted to know about it and she said "just talk about it."
LOL

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 25

Lovely story...my 5yr old son upon seeing a three tier white and gold christening cake I made told me it's so beautiful he wants me to make one just like that for his baby sister! (i'm not pregnant nor planning to but he's still hopeful1 ) LOL.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherhasstyle

he then went on to say "but I don't date teenage girls just yet".

Heh heh heh. I would put a leash on that boy! Wow, but they start early these days, don't they!!! icon_lol.gif In my day, a boy about 10 or 11 was still playing with toys and riding their bikes! They had no room for girls!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 25

That boy learned early how to talk to a lady!

My 3-year-old daughter likes to tell me what a good "cake cooker" I am.

And she keeps asking what her wedding cake will be like...then says "but who's gonna marry me? Gavin?" (Gavin is her 5-year-old brother).

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 25

I spent the weekend at a friend's house (she has an adorable 6 year old boy) and he simply said "is that a cake - it doesn't look like a cake" and said my cupcakes tasted good (I did a cupcake tutorial for him as well) - it meant a lot to me because kids are brutally honest - if he didn't like it - he definitely would have said somethingicon_smile.gif

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 25

I am trying to get into a pastry program at a community college but right now I am just taking a biology class to fulfill the general ed portion of it, but whenever I come home from school my 2 1/2 year old says...

"You got to school? You make cakes? Thats so awesome" And he says it with this accent that doesn't sound American.

Everyone in my family is always saying that to eachother because it is so funny.

I can't explain to him, that no I am not making cakes I am listening about plant reproduction and that Mommy walks jealously through the cooking halls to stare into the classrooms to see what they are doing...LOL

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 25

hehe some kids are being raised right (grins) knows a good woman when he meets one! heehe..

heatherhasstyle Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 25

hahahaha some of these comments about the kids are cracking me up!!! Kids are so darn cute!!!

Btw-thanks for all the welcomes! icon_biggrin.gif

My boyfriend also got a real kick out of the fact that he called me a teenager when I'm about to be 25. He really let me have that all day. haha

heatherhasstyle Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:45pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1951

Cute!! I did a cake for a cast party this weekend, and this little girl,about 5 yrs old, was looking at it and asking me questions about when she found out that I was the one that made[graveyard/fall cake in my pictures] When I walked away from the table, she came up to me again and said"you have to talk about the cake some more" I asked her what else she wanted to know about it and she said "just talk about it."
LOL

haha this especially made me laugh!!!

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:03pm
post #16 of 25

my 6 year old daughter tells me all the time that i make the best cakes and she even made a song about it and sings it to me. just make me fell great!!! and it goes something like this "My mom makes the best cakes, chocolate and vanilla, my mom makes the best cakes" you got to love kids!!!

The_Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Cakery Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 25

You're so right! Kids can make you feel so special! My 3 year old daughter always brightens up at the sight of a cake-in-progress. It doesn't matter if it's just a lump of cake with a crumb coat on it, she'll have wide eyes and yell, "Mama! Your CAKE! It's so preeeeeeetttttyyyy!"

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:10pm
post #18 of 25

Thanks I thought that was cute.
my 4 yr old grandson now calls me grandma cakes, he has been for the last 2 yrs. Every time I go visit them he wants to know if I brought him a cake.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:16pm
post #19 of 25

I loved this! My 2-yr-old is my biggest fan. She always makes me feel great about my cakes! icon_smile.gif

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:19pm
post #20 of 25

My kids are my biggest promoters! I can't tell you how many times I've bumped into someone at school (parents, teachers, you name it) that tell me they've heard "all about my cakes" from one of my kids!

Also, if you ever want an honest opinion, ask a kid! I do this all this time with mine and they're more than happy to tell me what they like and what they don't! -- Of course this can be a disadavantage too as they sometimes offer their opinions when they're not wanted!!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:36pm
post #21 of 25

That young man is a gem! Little kids can be wonderful

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:47pm
post #22 of 25

I've had similar reactions from kids about their cakes!

One child refused to let anyone cut into her cake because no one was going to eat "her Dora" (it was a Dora the Explorer themed sheet cake).

The BEST response I ever got was with one of my co-worker's kids...she wanted a three tiered Tinkerbell inspired cake for her fourth birthday...it was a very simple cake with pinks/purples and greens and I made her Tinkerbell candle look like it was "blooming" out of a pink lily. When she saw me bring her cake to her house, she hugged me so hard, I almost dropped the cake! And she went around taunting her brothers, that's not YOUR cake that's MY cake! LOL. It was sooo cute!

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm
post #23 of 25

My four yr old grandson stopped at the cake aisle in Tesco and said in a loud voice,'' these cakes are rubbish Nan you can do better than that'', icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Love that little man LOL

nannykaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannykaren Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:05pm
post #24 of 25

Sorry this is sort of long.....

I had made a "boob" cake with no top and a red, white and blue bottom for "Geronimo's" fourth of july cake (don't know if that's his real name or what she calls him) The "boobs" had a cherry on top and I had to prop the box open and wrap in saran wrap to keep fresh.

My daughter put it on her kitchen counter to keep the little hands (and eyes) off the cake. My 5-year old grandson was on his tiptoes getting a peek at the cake. All he saw was from the side with the red and white stripes on the bottom. When she came into the room he was wide-eyed and said "Man that clown's got some BIG eyeballs!" Of course, she had to call me right away and let me know how the "Clown" looked.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:00pm
post #25 of 25

Great stories! Mine is not as funny but it made me feel great! A dear friend was retiring from teaching last year and I (of course) was making an over the top cake for her reception. She has a 7 year old grand daughter with a corn allergy and I really wanted her to have something at the party too so I made a batch of (corn syrup free) peanut butter cupcakes topped with chocolate ganache especially for her. I had them on the family table on one of my pretty cake stands with a doilie and had baked them in some of the Wilton ruffled liners. She was thrilled to have a "safe" and pretty dessert just for her and so were her parents and grandparents.

Upon eating a cupcake she heaved a deep sigh and said "well, we need to have Ms. Linda's cakes more often". icon_cool.gif The over the top retirement cake was getting all the attention but that was what made my day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%