Pumpkin Cake How To?

Decorating By Thecakebox06 Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm by Thecakebox06

Thecakebox06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thecakebox06 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 6

hey everyone although i know theres another pumpkin thread already i didnt want to be rude and post on there...so sorry if im making a new one. anyway i got a small request to make a shinny pumpkin cake with a tinkerbell on top (shes four and thats what they ordered lol) anyhow ive made tons of cakes and carved them as well but i just cant figure out how to go about the pumpkin so it looks real?? and shiny as well... i dont know how to carve the insitions on it so it looks real..so i was wondering if you could all help me with some tips and how you do it?

also a question off topic i thought id post. i have another cake coming up and i need a shinny purple to make some stripes...does anyone know where i can get this? or how to make it shinny and shimmery? not with pearl dust..prob like the golden and platinum colors..if i explain myself well..well looking forward for yalls help!

-Chelle

5 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 6

I haven't done it myself yet, but I bought two bundt pans so I could bake and then put them on top of one another (the top one would be upside down) to form a pumpkin. You'd have to level off the tops of each and probably skewer them together. You could then cover in fondant and airbrush to look as realistic as you like.

As for the purple shimmer, the only thing I could think of was purple pearl dust and vodka, either airbrushed or painted on. You said no pearl dust, so I don't know what to tell you. The purple pearl dust is very pretty though, and you could mix it with some purple food coloring (or other colors) to achieve your desired "purple" if it's a particular shade.

There's something called disco dust, I've not personally used, but heard others mention. I don't know if it comes in purple but maybe you could use just a glittery verision to dress up something you've already tinted purple??

Thecakebox06 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:37am
post #3 of 6

hi! thanks i actually ended up buying the purple lust and will mix it with vodka...hopefully it comes out very nice.

i also though about the bundt pans as well but didnt know if i should carve it or whatnot.. well see how it goes.

thank you i appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

Mrs_Olivares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_Olivares Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:56am
post #4 of 6

hi there! if you lightly steam the fondant it will give it a glossy look. not sure if thats what you mean by shiny or not

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 6

I have a pumpkin cake on my website. I just stacked 4 layers of cake and carved it to get the shape I wanted. I put a full coat of buttercream on then covered with orange fondant. Following Bronwen instructions, I just used put the grooves in the fondant using fondant tools. I then dusted with petal dust to make it more realistic. To get it shiny, I steam with a steamer when it's all done. HTH!

Thecakebox06 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 6

thanks guys!! im going to try it out! and post a pic after. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%