Decorating Gloves

Decorating By toni1218 Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm by Rachel5370

toni1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toni1218 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 25

I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a good "decorating glove", one that is form fitting and easy to use when decorating your cake. I have seen some gloves online that have been recommended, however I am from Canada and don't think I can find them here. Hopefully some fellow Canadian members can help me out to find some out here!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

24 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 25

I haven't got the slightest clue what you're talking about.

toni1218 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 25

Gloves... that you could use when you're colouring fondant. They are not specifically "decorating gloves". I am looking for safe disposable gloves.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 25

Definitely something texture and powder free.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 25

i like using disposable vinyl gloves. no powder, not terribly expensive. i keep a box under the sink and use them all the time for all kinds of reasons ... a "must have" for me when coloring fondant.

metria Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i like using disposable vinyl gloves. no powder, not terribly expensive. i keep a box under the sink and use them all the time for all kinds of reasons ... a "must have" for me when coloring fondant.

you can get them from the grocery store or pharmacy. example:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-one-size-fits-all-vinyl-gloves/ID=prod2377368-product

metria Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 25

my co-worker walked by and saw me post this. he says he likes using nitrile gloves for his household stuff. anyone use these?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-premium-nitrile-gloves/ID=prod3386461-product

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 25

Do you mean a pressure glove, like to help with arthritis or carpel tunnel?

caferock05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caferock05 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 25

Metria- I have used these Nitrile gloves and I love them. I actually purchased mine at a Jewel-Ocso and they are Playtex brand I believe. You can find them in the gloves aisle of your local grocery store. They are wonderful.. no more funky colored hands!

Flamingobaker- they are not pressure gloves. Imagine the gloves your dentist or doctor uses. These are that type of glove. I like nitrile more since they are latex and powder free.

I hope this helped somewhat.
icon_smile.gif

toni1218 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 25

Thanks for the responses! I know you can get the vinyl gloves latex and power free also.. is there a difference between the vinyl and nitrile gloves that anyone has noticed?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 25

I purchased the nitrile gloves on amazon and love them.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 25

toni1218...can I ask what province you are in?? (I'm in Ontario.)

I had never used them before but last cake I made I had some really dark colours and my hands were a mess, so I finally decided to buy some gloves. I got 100 units for $4. - $5. Not too expensive for occasional use.

I bought mine in a food wholesale store, but they can be purchased at a Medical supply also.

toni1218 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

toni1218...can I ask what province you are in?? (I'm in Ontario.)

I had never used them before but last cake I made I had some really dark colours and my hands were a mess, so I finally decided to buy some gloves. I got 100 units for $4. - $5. Not too expensive for occasional use.

I bought mine in a food wholesale store, but they can be purchased at a Medical supply also.

Hi there,

I am in Ontario also - If you could let me know where you got yours that would be great. icon_smile.gif

srkmilklady Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 25

Hi toni1218

I've sent you a pm with the info. Hope it helps! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 25

Oh. I just grab whatever the restaurant supplies store has for sale.

srkmilklady Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:29pm
post #16 of 25

Unfortunately, we are limited to suppliers in Canada. We have very few places that we can actually shop at "in person" and when they don't have what you're looking for it get's very frustrating. We are dependent on ordering online for most of our supplies, which can be just as frustrating in some cases. icon_sad.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:31pm
post #17 of 25

Protecting your hands from food color is nice and all- but everyone should be using food-safe gloves at all times when touching food that will not be cooked. I am positive that bare hand contact with ready-to-eat foods is against any and all health department regulations. The only way around it is to submit a bare hand contact plan to your local or state health department. Even then, it's a risk. Things like the Noro virus cling to your hands because it has a gelatinous sticky coating around it and isn't easy to wash off. It just drives me up the wall to see people on cake shows putting their bare hands all over cakes. Food-bourne illnesses are nothin' nice! Oh, and I wouldn't get the medical grade gloves, get the ones for food handling. Ok, getting off the soap box now. ~Rachel

metria Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:34pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel5370

Oh, and I wouldn't get the medical grade gloves, get the ones for food handling.

I was always curious about this. Is there something specific that we should watch out for with medical grade gloves? I just assumed they were ok and they're easily available.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #19 of 25

I've used vinyl ones, but find that everything (fondant, gumpaste) sticks to them. I have to keep using crisco. I did see on "sweetwise dot com" that they have some food grade gloves that DON'T stick to anything. I haven't ordered them yet, but plan to in the VERY near future! HTH

srkmilklady Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 25

There are medical grade gloves that are listed on the box as "food safe". You just have to make sure that it does say it on the box. ( My daughter has to use the medical grade when caring for her son...and the ones she uses say "food safe".)

Rachel5370 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Quote:

Oh, and I wouldn't get the medical grade gloves, get the ones for food handling.

I was always curious about this. Is there something specific that we should watch out for with medical grade gloves? I just assumed they were ok and they're easily available.

It seems like medical grade would be ok, doesn't it? All I know is that the health dept requires everything that comes in contact with food to be labeled "food-safe" and even NSF (or commercial grade) in most cases when it's intended for public consumption. I can find out for sure, and get back to you, but my guess is that medical grade gloves are sterilized (probably by chemical means- which might not be ideal for food). Food grade gloves are non-sterile. Food grade gloves are easy to get too, just get them from a restaurant supply place. Many of those are open to the public and you don't need a wholesale account.

Rachel5370 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:54pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

There are medical grade gloves that are listed on the box as "food safe". You just have to make sure that it does say it on the box. ( My daughter has to use the medical grade when caring for her son...and the ones she uses say "food safe".)

That is true, there are some that can be used for both!

toni1218 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:

Protecting your hands from food color is nice and all- but everyone should be using food-safe gloves at all times when touching food that will not be cooked. I am positive that bare hand contact with ready-to-eat foods is against any and all health department regulations. The only way around it is to submit a bare hand contact plan to your local or state health department. Even then, it's a risk. Things like the Noro virus cling to your hands because it has a gelatinous sticky coating around it and isn't easy to wash off. It just drives me up the wall to see people on cake shows putting their bare hands all over cakes. Food-bourne illnesses are nothin' nice! Oh, and I wouldn't get the medical grade gloves, get the ones for food handling. Ok, getting off the soap box now. ~Rachel

I agree with you, that is why am trying to find a nice tight fitting glove in order to do all the work with decorating and not feel like I am all thumbs!

toni1218 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:20pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlets-Cakes

I've used vinyl ones, but find that everything (fondant, gumpaste) sticks to them. I have to keep using crisco. I did see on "sweetwise dot com" that they have some food grade gloves that DON'T stick to anything. I haven't ordered them yet, but plan to in the VERY near future! HTH

I saw the same video and they look good.... however I am trying to see where I can get them in Canada without paying an arm and a leg for international shipping. Oh well... I suppose any vinyl gloves of the same caliber would be the same?

Rachel5370 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1218

Quote:

I agree with you, that is why am trying to find a nice tight fitting glove in order to do all the work with decorating and not feel like I am all thumbs!

I know what you mean! Just make sure you don't get gloves that are too big. Working for others as a chef, I always had to put up with too large gloves because that's what they would buy, only considering the guys I guess! There were so many times I would cut the tips off the gloves by accident! Mediums fit me nicely, but many women might wear smalls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%