Still Adjusting To Living In The South

Decorating By TJCanadian Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm by CakesByLJ

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 3

I moved from Denver, CO (no moisture and no air) to Knoxville, TN (heat and humidity) last year and it seems like 1 of 3 projects I'm still finding how I need to adjust for things. This weekend it was a 9 inch tall Dora out of Rice crispy treats to go on top of a cake. I molded the rice crispies on monday...they still weren't dried hard tuesday, ran out of time so Wednesday night I had to start covering her. Covered her in modeling chocolate and hoped it would at least dry and harden. Thursday night I have to finish building her so I start to stack up legs, body, arms, putting clothes on her and she is slowly expanding sideways. By friday she finished settling down, but then she looked like Dora's ..wider, shorter cousin... not really Dora. her neck completely disappeared.

I had made 2 baseball cap brims in Colorado and they dried in a couple of days, how far ahead am I going to have to make them now??

2 replies
TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 3
CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 3

Dora is simply adorable~! As is all your work, btw.. Heat and humidity is challenging, but you will get used to it. I keep the AC cranked up when I'm working with fondant or gumpaste, and make it as far ahead as possible. Also, using Nick Lodge's gumpaste recipe will help tremendously. Hang in there, you'll adjust. I moved to TN after leaving Denver to Las Vegas, and then to So CA.. all dry climates... icon_smile.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%